Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

6" Safety Rims
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: 6" Safety Rims Reply with quote

I have one of our drivers that needs to get a Neon safety rim. The rule calls for 6". I started to look back a previous posts but got lazy. Where can the 6" safety rim be purchased for the Neon?

Thanks
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 6" Safety Rims Reply with quote

Jim Leasure wrote:
I have one of our drivers that needs to get a Neon safety rim. The rule calls for 6". I started to look back a previous posts but got lazy. Where can the 6" safety rim be purchased for the Neon?

Thanks

Diamond Wheel is where we got ours.

800-937-4407

They are the factory and make one of the best and will ship it direct to your door.

Todd Sr.
1st and only automatic pony in the 15's
Team Never Dead Racing Team Beacon
If you are not having fun while racing, Adjustments are definitely needed !!!!!
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Todd, I thought you would know where to go. I will give him the number.
NEED mopar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the safety wheel do they make different offsets or do they only make one wheel what amount offset is legal ?
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Circle in Jenison stocks these rims.

Between their vendor discount and not having to pay for shipping, its actually less expensive to drive over to Grand Rapids and pick them up then it is to have them shipped.

Should be noted that Diamond Wheels with FWD lug patterns and backspacing aren't actually safety/racing wheels.

They are just new stock wheels with more offset that allow you to get more camber, which results in less wheel flex and therefore less breakage.
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:

Should be noted that Diamond Wheels with FWD lug patterns and backspacing aren't actually safety/racing wheels.

They are just new stock wheels with more offset that allow you to get more camber, which results in less wheel flex and therefore less breakage.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ya whatever.........Tell the owner at Diamond that one when you call him.............

How many sets do you own and did you specify that you only wanted stock rims with a differant offset when you bought yours???

My rims ARE racing rims along with the 24 other ones that came on that order.

I specified the heavier racing rims, once again you give some INACCURATE info.....

TODD SR.
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEED mopar wrote:
on the safety wheel do they make different offsets or do they only make one wheel what amount offset is legal ?

You can get any offset that you would like them to make all you have to do is tell tham when you place an order.

Diamond has at least 2 different wheels that can be fitted with the 5 x 100 bolt pattern that fits the FWD Mopars and Cavileer's.

I believe that stock Neon rims are 5.5 inches wide with a 4-5 inch offset depending on the model that they came on.

Todd Sr.
Jim B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pony Stock Tire and Wheel Rules

E. TIRES AND WHEELS:
a) Steel wheels only, stock for that year, make and model. Safety wheel OK (optional) on right front. Must be the same width and off set as stock wheel.
b) Maximum width of 6" steel wheels only.

c) Any D.O.T. stamped tire. Max width P195. Minimum 70 series. Minimum tread wear rating of 300.

d) All wheels and tires must be the same size.

Notice the off set reference.
NEED mopar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIM or BILL
i see what the rule says 6" wide and STOCK OFFSET but to clearify what is the ( inch ) offset that is stock so we can order the right one
because my stock might be different than yours
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the off set is but we need to know. I have new cars coming that are asking that question.

I need to ask someone to take a stock rim and a safety rim and see if they are the same. Please be accurate and honest because we don't want people buying rims they can't use. That gets me in a lot of trouble.

Thanks
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Leasure wrote:
I don't know what the off set is but we need to know. I have new cars coming that are asking that question.

I need to ask someone to take a stock rim and a safety rim and see if they are the same. Please be accurate and honest because we don't want people buying rims they can't use. That gets me in a lot of trouble.

Thanks

I have some Neon, Shadow and Cavalier rims at the shop that I will take the tires off of today and measure them.

I will try and post the measurements sometime this afternoon or evening.

If I get the camera to work I will take some pictures so that there will be no doubt of the measurement's.

Todd Sr.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just measured a Dodge Caravan wheel which is very popular to use on the Shadows and Neons and they have been known to hold up very well.

The width is not measured from outside to outside, it's measured between the two bead surfaces. This wheel is 5 1/2 inches wide.

The offset is measured from the inner bead surface to the inside mounting face of the wheel where it contacts the hub. The offset distance on this wheel is 4 5/16.

So, I would say that a 6 inch wheel with a 4 inch offset should be close enough to be allowable.

Anything less than a 4 inch offset should not be allowed as it will provide a handling advantage. More is OK, such as 5 inches, but not recommended due to clearance problems with the strut.

-Maurice
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured some different styles of rims and they were between approximately 4.25 and 5.5 inches of backspace and between approxitamely 4.75 and 5.50 inches of width.

In my opinion, ( for what it is worth ), I would agree with Maurice that a maxinum of 6 inches wide wheel with a 4 inch or more offset would be a good standard to put into the rulebook.

I think that the sooner an " official " decision is made the better. As soon as a decision is made and posted rims will be ordered.

I have not yet ordered any simply because of not wanting to order and pay for some and then be told that they are illegal to run.

Thank you for your help Maurice, and thank you Jim for addressing this issue now so that we all have time to get the wheels made before the season begins.

Todd Sr.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thank you. I will wait a couple of more days for input and then get the rule posted. Yogi and Maurice, thanks for the help.
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I had a couple of people ask me and I do not know the correct answer to give them, please post here to clarify for everyone.

Will safety/racing rims be allowed on the other 3 corners of the cars or only the front's or only the right front?

For the figure 8 will we be allowed to put them on both front wheels since we will be turning both ways?

The way it looks in the rules I am guessing only the right front for the oval, maybe both front's for the figure 8 races.

Thank you Jim for you responses to this whole racing wheel issue. Very proactive before the season starts.

Todd Sr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: