Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

pony stock meeting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BT_RACING

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: pony stock meeting Reply with quote

I have just come back from the pony stock meeting this morning. After sitting through this meeting I was thinking about the outcome of it as I drove home. I reflected back into what was my first season of racing: sure I wasnt the fastest but I also never gave up. The comment brought up at the meeting about "people coming to the track with home built cars ready to race it home"- well - that was intended towards me -- ok i except that. See i dont have brothers uncles or even freinds that are involved with racing to help out building a car. All I had to go by is a rule book to follow and did my best building a car. So if thats a back yard machanic then yes I'm guilty of. But educated from a season does not make you a veteran - you still learn. The point of this is new-comers are going to be slow until they learn or learn how to cheat, but thats racing - push it till you get caught. Hopefully with 9 races under my belt and a blown motor and/or a blown transmission I'll get better within time. Ultimately, ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks
torg38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT I think you misunderstood what was being said, There were many new cars last year. No one was calling out a certain car. The overtone of the meeting was to have some sort of mentor process. It would work something like this.

You call to register as a rookie driver
You are supplied with phone numbers of willing “helpers” in your area.
You attend a rookie meeting that will explain race gestures, flags, Payout, points etc

This is intended to help shorten the learning curve in the pony stocks. By pairing you with someone to share information with, you will learn what to do to get you on par with others in the class.

Till this happens feel free to call any of us in the pony class. As we have already posted thousands of times. “Just ask we’re glad to help”
MG
Dennis ONeil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Happy New Year,
I too attended the Pony stock meeting this past Saturday. Several points stand out. The speedway management appears to lack a clear understanding of what compels someone to race. I don't know if I have a clear understanding of this either, but I do know that the main reason people race is to compete and go fast, to RACE. It is racing of course.
All classes can be and have been entry classes. It depends on support(family members, friends ,etc), the amount of money one has to spend, and the amount of prior experience around racing that dictates what class a potention new racer will enter.
When I first raced in 1972 the entry class was super 6. There were only three classes back then.
No one thought the fast cars should be slowed down so the new comers would have more of a chance. That would have been sorta like if you let someone win so as not to upset them. We saw who was fast and did what we could to get faster, gaining experience along the way.
Did I win in my first race? No! I was spun into the wall by Ed Rood an experienced driver. In the pit he bragged about it and said someone had to break me in! Sharp learning curve. But I did LEARN. However I never even won a race until 1982.
Anyway my point is : to keep this class an affordable class we need rules. Those rules should look at what keeps the class the most affordable while keeping the class safe. Affordable durable proven tires are important. We do have that tire. The Sumitomo.
There is a school of thought that slowing the cars in the corners will lessen the need for big engines. Actually at Spartan the opposite is probably true. When you slow corner speed you make the straightaways drag strips. The motor will become more important than cornering and driver ability.
Affordable also means less crashing, better handling cars mean less crashing.
Jim, what a great idea to school new drivers. Please include some items on proper driving. Banging, passing and yielding when getting passed. YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU DON'T FINISH.

"A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.............WORKS BETTER WHEN OPEN"
12M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: DASH Reply with quote

CAN I REMOVE THE DASH AND CAN THE INNER DOOR SKINS BE REMOVED.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DASH Reply with quote

12M wrote:
CAN I REMOVE THE DASH AND CAN THE INNER DOOR SKINS BE REMOVED.
Yes.
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can remove the dash, and the door panels, but try and leave the rear panels in the 2 door models because they are part of the unibody and strengthen the car.
John
12M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally, you were only allowed to remove the inner panel on the driver's door for door bar clearance. Most people ran straight door bars on the right side, so the right panel was supposed to be left intact. But then a few started removing the right panel as well and it was never enforced. So, it's kind of an unwritten rule that you can get away with removing the door panel on the right side. It's not really necessary though as you'll notice many of the fast cars still have all panels except for the driver's door panel in place.

Personally, I'd leave the panels in except for the driver's door. Once removed, you can't properly put them back and like John stated, they add a lot of strength to the unibody structure. So, be careful where you cut. Don't base your car building on what you see with the typical full framed Street Stock.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: