Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

spring rates...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: spring rates... Reply with quote

So I was wondering about spring rates. I know they have to match left to right. But I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a baseline to go by. No need to give up any secrets, i'm just not sure where to start??? Thanks guys...

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: spring rates Reply with quote

Remember, Srings are stock ,I dont think they were rated on OEM cars.
But if you have any other questions please call me at a(517)812-1853 P.S. Or at least stock appearing,with equal size coils, 2 front and 2 rear .
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: rates... Reply with quote

Doesn't "stock appearing" springs have different rates??? I know that they have to match left to right visa versa. Stock appearing according to the meetings was springs not cut or altered in any way. Mine are not altered in any way. I can see this is gonna be one of those sticky little points huh? lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam not sure about different spring rates on OEM, I do know that the station wagons come with heaver springs then the sedans do .Iam going to check my parts catalogs to see. Thanks, Chuck
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about cutting or heating?
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: cutting.... Reply with quote

Monz, they said at the meeting that the springs cannot be altered in any way, that means cutting, heating bending etc... they said if they are altered in any way they are not "stock appearing"...
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering. Factory replacement spring or aftermarket replacements comein different rates. A/C, engine size, wagon. Do these have different number of coils? Are they taller? Are the coils thicker/skinnier?
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct NO cutting or heating of springs,you are also correct about different type of springs for A/C ,StationWagons ,"T" Type Tops the only thing is I dont think OEM put # spring rates on the springs,as long as they are the same size coils,same number of coils, and the same side to side and front to rear YOU ARE OK..
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: rates... Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the rates are for the stock rears for a Impala, mid 80's style Impala???
tricknology

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Big,

at every track that runs V8 RWD lead sleds/pure stocs/ bombers the racers use stiiffer stock looking springs and shocks ,evenif the rules say you can't, and if you use the stock weak springs you will not be able to keep up. the stifest stock front spring is less than 400 pounds.

I have helped build a lot of these cars for 30 years, and the spring rates range from 900 to 1300 on the front and 175 to 250 on the rear.

see link,,,

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/166,154_Stock-Replacement-Front-Springs.html
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: rates... Reply with quote

Hey Trick, Ya the reason i was asking is I seen in some reading, that for a street stock, they said to start your rear springs at 300 lbs, i didnt know how much the stock springs rated, i just wanted to find out. the configuration was....

front
1000 lbs 1250 lbs

Back
300 lbs 300 lbs

this sound right? I know the front has to be the same though..

steve
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,
Rememeber one thing the springs have to be the same on both sides of the car , front and rear.
Thanks Chuck
tricknology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, 300 lbs is a little too stiff,,

we usuall start around 200lbs,,,It is quit possible the Stock Rear springs will be real close,,so try the stock rear springs first,,,but on the front may be start at 1100 lbs,,,,

GET some Front sway bars of different thicknesses, 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4,,to try,,,make the sway bar adjustable,,,
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you have different thickness sway bars and adjustable sway bars on a Pure Stock? I was told if it didnt come with it from the factory or its not stated in the rules you couldnt use it. Especially no aftermarket parts. Was I lied to? What can I use thats not in the rules?
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use the factory swaybars on the Pure Stocks. However, you'll find that the factory may have offered more than one size swaybar.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: