Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Mod Class update as I know it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing which I think would be helpful for the Mod guys.. at least I'm hearing this in what I'm reading.

If their car was legal last year, then its going to be legal this year.

HOWEVER... the rules as they are written are going to be the rules for 2008, so if they want to make changes now they can, or they can wait, but sooner or later, where there are differences between MMA and USA, those changes will have to get made, because in 08 Spartan will be a full USA track and the MMA legal cars legal today won't be legal anymore.

Am I understanding that correctly or is there a possibility a whole new set of rules might come to be in 08 ?

AND -- for the guys who might stray away from MMA rules, is there any chance that MMA might come back in 08 (like if they somehow found a big sponsor) ?
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Spartan is not a USA sanctioned track. The rules being built right now are not for 2008, they are for 2007.

The tracks on the right side of the state appear to have gotten together and come up with a set up rules to keep the Mods similar. On the left side of the state (primarily Kalamazoo), the USA rules are being used.

Spartan is in the middle and is working on rules to accomodate everybody. The differences between the USA and MMA and just about everyone else is just minor details that really has no bearing on being better or worse as far as on-track performance. So, that is why we are wording the rules to be a little more universal without giving anyone an advantage over anyone else.

A good MMA type car and a good USA type car can race together very well.

Spartan will probably have the best set of Modified rules overall when it is all said and done.

Oz,

Thanks for the input. Your request is being worked on right now.

-Maurice
Big Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just faxed you the mod rules for the new coalition Maurice.

Big Ed
Big Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Whittimore driver posted the new coaltions mod rules on the MSTRC, here they are..............

Attention Modified Drivers and Owners

March 27, 2007

Auto City Speedway , Dixie Motor Speedway, Owosso Speedway, and Whittemore Speedway are pleased to announce the newly formed Michigan Coalition of Asphalt Racetracks.

It has been a long time in coming but finally there has been a meeting of the minds for area asphalt tracks. In order to make this work, there has been some give and take for each track; some of which may contradict our previously posted rules. We hope you understand our long-term commitment to this division and to our drivers and that we feel this is definitely in your best interest.

The purpose of MCAR is to strengthen asphalt racing in eastern Michigan by way of a common rules package and mutual disciplinary policy between MCAR-member tracks, thereby accomplishing the following:

1. Promote a common and identical rules package among member tracks.

2. Allow race teams to freely travel amongst member tracks.

3. Allow for consistent and comprehensive long term rules development while keeping cost, performance, safety, original intent and division development
in mind.

4. Closely monitor the division to determine whether or not new components have a place in the division and the perceived impact of new components on
competitors.

5. Review and discuss short term and long term concerns of racers, car owners, chassis builders, engine builders and track promoters relative to said
division.

6. Discuss the health of the division(s) and what we can do to positively influence it.

7. After mutual discussion and review, honor driver suspensions of other member tracks. A written request by an individual promoter is required in order
for MCAR to honor his track suspension as an association. Unless suspension is for a fixed period of time, a driver may return to racing only after
MCAR approval.

8. There will be no requirement for driver membership.

After signing, member tracks agree to honor MCAR rules and policies throughout this calendar year and to enforce rules through consistent tech procedures.
The immediate focus of MCAR will be the Modified division but may be extended to other common divisions in the future upon unanimous consent.

Even though member tracks have already published their individual track rules, for the betterment of the modified division, a common rules package has been developed for 2007. This means that some rules will be altered at some tracks but it will for the common good of the division(s). It does not address every issue but does find common ground on the more serious issues. Any significant rules changes will be implemented a year in advance.

For 2007, since rules are already posted, there may be different wording of rules from track to track. For 2008, wording will be identical for the complete division. Common rules have been agreed upon and are now in effect for 2007 at all MCAR-member tracks. The following issues have been discussed and may have changed at your track.

1. Aluminum Heads: Allowed with a minimum penalty of 100lb. Each track may further adjust weight as needed for competition. Aluminum heads are
not allowed beginning with 2008.

2. Non-OEM Centerlink and Pitman arm: Allowed with a 50lb penalty. Will be discussed further for 2008.

3. Weight: 2500lbs after race w/driver beginning in 2008.

4. Ball Joints: Non-OEM allowed.

5. Shocks: One steel-bodied shock per wheel only. Shock must racer net for no more than $200. No externally rate-adjustable shocks. Recharging valves
permitted. No remote reservoirs.

6. Coil-overs: Super Late Model-type coil-over assemblies are not allowed.

7. Official tire: Hoosier 970

8. Traction Control: Not allowed. If caught will result in indefinite suspension.

Issues for discussion for 2008 include: Rack and Pinion, Coil-overs, Brakes, aftermarket non-OEM Spindles and Hubs, availability and cost of common used components i.e. sub frames, control arms and spindles. Please note; discussion does not mean implementation. We are looking at these issues to determine whether these items have a place in the division or if there is a need to consider them for the future

It is our intention that MCAR, through the use of common rules, will be received as a benefit to the long term growth of the division as well as providing a level playing field for current cars and competitors as well as those in the future. Please feel free to contact any MCAR track with your thoughts and ideas.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the coalition rules that Ed just faxed to me, there really isn't much to them. It's just one simple page. They are honoring rules that are already posted on each track's website which means that rules such as those posted on Owosso's site which is a copy of the MMA rules will be used at Owosso.

However, they state just a few small lines of rules that are easy to implement:

Weight: 2500 pounds post-race. That's 100 pounds heavier than MMA and USA.
Alimimum heads: 100 weight penalty. That ends up at 2600 pounds.
Ball joints: non OEM allowed
Non OEM Centerlink and Pitman arm: Allowed with a 50 lb penalty.
Coil overs: No adjustable coil over assemblies allowed.
Shocks: One steel-bodied shock per wheel only. Shock must racer net for no more than $200. No externally rate-adjustable shocks. Recharging valves permitted. No remote reservoirs.
Tire: Hoosier 970

That's really all there is to their coalition rules.

Our guys will have to add weight to travel to those tracks. Their guys can remove weight to race at Spartan. The tires are the only other change needed.

So, I'd say our new rules will allow the cars from the tracks to the north east of us to race no problem.

The latest revision of our rules was posted at 9:45 AM this morning. Further comments are appreciated.

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modfan,

Quote:

The fabricated chevelle clips should not be legal for you can make them WIDER.

Under "Frames" it states that frames may not be widened or narrowed. This means that if you use a Chevelle type frame it needs to measure the same width as a production Chevelle frame.

So, if anyone tries to do what you have implied, they will be wasting a lot of time fabricating a chassis that they can't use.

-Maurice
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice.. I think the question being asked is.. are the rules for this year going to be the rules for next year ? It seems like there are things in this years rules, which are counter the MMA rules.. but those cars are being given a grandfather pass. I think their question is.. how long do they have till they have to change.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:
Maurice.. I think the question being asked is.. are the rules for this year going to be the rules for next year ? It seems like there are things in this years rules, which are counter the MMA rules.. but those cars are being given a grandfather pass. I think their question is.. how long do they have till they have to change.

There is no grandfathering here. Nothing needs to be grandfathered because we are not phasing anything out. We are keeping the existing cars while accomodating a few others.

I don't see the rules changing for next year unless there's some minor tweaking or wording needed. We've got a good bunch of cars and drivers and want to maintain that.

-Maurice
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar93 wrote:
We are keeping the existing cars while accomodating a few others. I don't see the rules changing for next year unless there's some minor tweaking or wording needed. We've got a good bunch of cars and drivers and want to maintain that. -Maurice
Okay, I think that's what folks want to hear. Glad to see minor tweaks to accomidate new folks is a good idea for the Mods.. wonder why its a bad idea for the Pony's and Pure's ?? Question
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

There's a difference here. With the Modifieds, we're primarly making changes to accomodate differences in body dimensions. There's nothing being changed in the engine or drivetrain or suspension. Nothing performance oriented is being changed.

In the Ponies and Pures, we already allow many different body styles because they are production bodies. The changes that you refer to as being bad generally have something to do with horsepower or handling. Those, we have to be very careful with.

See the difference?

-Maurice
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see the difference and I'm glad common sense is prevailing.
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where Aaron is coming from on the repop chevelle parts. Maurice is right if you cut and move it's useless and illegal. But who is checking it? If no one ever looks then what would keep people from doing it. I'm really not that worried about it myself but the chance is there.

I feel the rules that are in place for 2007 are just fine. It opens things up a bit to allow a little bit different body styles here and there. Now it won't be so cookie cutter. That means Dick Lapratt can run his TAR body if he wants. Did I mention I do like the looks of those.

Maurice,
How about a weight break for template tail? JOKING! Let's not start that conversation.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about a weight break for template tail? JOKING! Let's not start that conversation.

Hey, good idea. Let's do more than the tail.

If you put a complete Dodge template body on like the SuperPro or ASALMS, you can take 100 pounds off. If you put on a Chevy or Ford, you have to ADD 100 lbs. Cool

Let's go stock car racing!

-Maurice
Mod88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good chance the Tar body will be on the car this year..... Very Happy
tricknology

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixie is already breaking ranks in MCAR mod rules,,,200 lb extra to be added if you have aluminum heads in 2007.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: