Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Pony Stock Speed Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the name and phone number of those who install roll cages locally.

Also list any other suppliers of roll cage kits,,,

thanks , arnold.
tricknology

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: NEED NEON 4 speed Automatic gear ratio info Reply with quote

Now that the Newer 2000 and up Neons are legal,, we will need Neon 4 speed trans gear ratio info for Spartan( Flat 1/4 mile asphalt oval) and Springport (Semi-banked 3/8 asphalt Oval).

Please post any info.

arnold.
CRC Director

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricknology wrote:
Please post the name and phone number of those who install roll cages locally.

Also list any other suppliers of roll cage kits,,,

thanks , arnold.

Fast Eddies Speedshop 517.673.4936
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.mstrc.com

Hey everyone, I would like to get into racing a mini stock next year, and i was wondering how much it is usually to run a mini stock in a season? Tires, gas, and all that stuff.

thanks!
eric

Last edited by tricknology on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From mstrc web site,,,

Full time racer,

Buy a used car you cant build one as cheap as you can buy one, just make sure it is solid.

Your safety gear is the next thing Suit, Helmet, Gloves, Shoes, Neck Ring, new are a little over $400.00.

Pit Passes if you need 2 Fifty Dollars you would probably need 5 Gallons of fuel a week $15.00 or more.

Tires go to a scrap yard or used tire store and buy used cheaper.

pmcnamara
==============================
Spartan and/or Springport Pony Class:

You can buy a cheap car for like $750, then spend another $750 fixing all the stuff which is broken on it (if it was fast and not broken car, it wouldn't be cheap) or spend $1500 on a decent race ready car. You can get a junk yard car for say $50 which runs and shifts. Expend 20 hours gutting the car. $275 on a roll cage and $200 having someone weld it in (if you can't do it yourself), you can find people like Ed Hiser, John DeYoung, Keith Holden, John Donavon (and others) who will custom build cages for your car.. sometimes you can save a little money that way. You'll spend another $75 on a skid plate for your gas tank or $125 on a fuel cell set up. Racing seat is $100 (used, $175 new). One way or the other, your going to spend about $1500 (+/- $250) getting the car completely ready to run.

Belts, Net & Net Set up, Fire Ext, Helmet, Fire Suit, Gloves are going to run you $400 - $500. Used you might shave off a $100-$150.
A set of New Sumitomo Tires which will last the whole season, plus a back up (ie 5th) tire is $250. These will last the season if you don't cut a tire. Drain Tranny, change tranny filter and refill. $10 for the filter and $20 for the ATF. New Air Filter $5.

Year registration is $50.

Oil Change every 4 races.. $5 filter and $12 in Oil... $17 a month.

Fuel for the car is 4 Gal a night. That's $14 a night current pricing (subject to change).

Depending how far your tow is to the track.. if its 20 miles or less, your looking at about $15 a night in getting your car to the track.. if your 60+ miles away, it will be more like $50.

Pit pass is $25. Food at Track is $5 (some spend $0, others spend $20+)

Other normal items fixed in a year are -- Brake Rotors are $12.99 ea. Brake Pads are $13.99 ea. New Struts are $45 ea. Wheel Bearings are $43. Front Hub Assembly is $75.

NOT including the cost of purchasing the car, putting in the saftey equipment, and adding rubber.. assuming your 20 miles from the track you want to race at.. your looking at yearly cost of $1650. Plus $1500 for the car + $500 for the Safety Equipment + $250 for the tires.

$3900 is what I come up with. I think my costs are a bit higher then that, so I think I'm forgetting something, but that's a ball-park number in line with what racer98 came up with and I think its similar to other threads posted here at other times.

http://www.mstrc.com/index.php?showtopic=7...;hl=cost+racing

--------------------

The LansingSportsRage.com

===================

FlipperF17

Don't forget about a trailer, hand tools (if you don't already have some), a jack, air tank, etc. ! Actual cost will depend on what YOU want! Weekly costs will depend on whether you wreck or not, make every effort to win, or just go out and have fun. THE worst part is the initial cost to get started after that it isn't any worse than than what you make of it.

--------------------

Kyle "Flipper" Trinklein
2006 STT Rookie of the Year
Http://www.KyleTrinkleinRacing.com

Catch you on the FLIPside!

=================

Dennis ONeil

Member No.: 2,020

Now that you have seen the optimistic view, here is perhaps one closer to reality:

The cost of a car is about $2000.00. Pit pass $25.00 x 22 nights for one track, double for two tracks. Tires $77.00 each(including shaving and shipping), figure 3 on the car to start the season, 3 more in the middle of the season, maybe more maybe less depending on number of tracks raced and how good your luck is(I've lost two to the same driver and two more to track debris already this season). Oil and filter changes, racing oil 2.50 per quart, filter 5.00, change both every 6 features. Trans fluid and filter, we run automatics, filter 15.00 and 5 quarts fluid 2.50 every 15 features. The gears needed to run two different size tracks, mopar about $200.00 for a set for Springport and $50.00 for a Spartan set. Each gear change takes 1-2 quarts of transmission fluid. Gas 2-4 gallons a night 3.00-3.60 per gallon. Tow vehicle gas $$$. All this is if you never crash or break anything. Expect expense for brakes, axles, wheels, wheel bearings, etc. Add personal safety gear at about 400.00 and you are close to ready for season 1.

Subsequent seasons seem cheaper because some of the stuff is good for three or more seasons.

But you can expect to be paid by the track each night. Spartan pays about $30.00 minimum a night and Springport pays about $40.00 minimum a night. You make 10%-70%more if you finish up front.

I don't mean to scare anyone off, but if you are not prepared for the financial cost you will lose interest fast.

--------------------

Thanks,
Dennis

Springport Motor Speedway is the place to race!

========================

racer98

Member No.: 592

you might consider helping a team at the track this year this is a thread that you might find usefull http://www.mstrc.com/index.php?showtopic=12956&hl=nate

--------------------

2007 MSTRC Yahoo NCAA Tourney Champion
tricknology

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: POOR man's Posi-traction for dodges Reply with quote

From Neons.Org

NOT LEGAL AT SPARTAN!!!

POOR man's Posi-traction for dodges,,,,,

(MAYBE will also work on GM's and Fords FWD. and Japenees cars)

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=292501

Last edited by tricknology on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I do not understand the thought process here; If NOT leagal WHY even post anything about it??????? Shocked

Are you trying to encourage cheating??

Does anyone really think that a limited slip diff., on a 100 or so hp. fwd automatic car, would make them any faster??? I just do not understand.

Don't get me wrong Trick, the things that you have copied and posted for the racers to use are usually very helpfull. I have looked at most all of your posts about the Mopars. Most are things that I have already seen or heard about but not all. I am sure that I am not the only one that uses your posts, I just am baffled why a person would post ILLEGAL ideas like this. I will bet that someone after seeing how simple and inexpensive this little deal is will try and sneak it into their racecar.

JUST MY OPINION Wink
1st and only automatic pony in the 15's
Team Never Dead Racing Team Beacon
If you are not having fun while racing, Adjustments are definitely needed !!!!!
tricknology

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that at springport ( 3/8 banked Asphalt track) this would not really help that much,,

But,,,Your pony stock forum HAS become the #1 source for Tech info for 4 cyl. FWD Oval track racers form All over the USA and Canada.

I went to a race track in Florida in Feb. and all the top guys had used you guy's tech info posted here...

You guys are FAMOUS!!! Very Happy

many dirt guys read this stuff too,,,and on dirt,, a locked or positraction final drive IS an advantage...

Arnold.
tricknology

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: ACR HEAVY DUTY FRONT HUBS Reply with quote

ACR HEAVY DUTY FRONT HUBS

I have read on Neons.org that MOPAR no longer stocks the ACR hub and bearing assembly,,

But Does stock the ACR HUB withOUT the bearing,,you have to buy the bearing seperatly, and have it pressed on,,,

UptownSport
Neon Mechanic

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rexxrally wrote:
If the ACR hub and bearing will continue to be available separately, can you please give us the individual part numbers?

4670292 $114.00
Front suspension - Suspension components - Front hub
FRONT HUB, Neon, 5 Stud, w/Competition Pkg. 1996 - 1999

4641120 $85.45
Front suspension - Suspension components - Front wheel bearing
FRONT WHEEL BEARING, Neon 1995 - 1999

8O

13.8 BOLT ON.
(and 'ANGLE' Milling)

Minnesota Neons

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=261011&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=282496&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: POOR man's Posi-traction for dodges Reply with quote

tricknology wrote:
From Neons.Org

NOT LEGAL AT SPARTAN!!!

Farther into that thread, the guy is getting sued by people who broke their transmissions trying this mod.. fyi.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: POOR man's Posi-traction for dodges Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:
tricknology wrote:
From Neons.Org

NOT LEGAL AT SPARTAN!!!

Farther into that thread, the guy is getting sued by people who broke their transmissions trying this mod.. fyi.

No one is getting sued in that thread. (I've been following it since it was started)

The problem is Neon guys are known for not wanting to spend any money at all. I mean the first mod everyone says to do is build your own cai with an intake off another car and exhaust pipe. The "mod" they are talking about has a good idea, BUT without the clutches all it is doing is putting force on the outside of the case. It is pushing the gears out against the case and that is providing the "lsd" effect. They think because it's stock in another differential then it is ok to put in theirs. The biggest proponent of this "poor mans lsd" has not run it, has only read about it from a couple other people about it on a forum. Noone using it has been able to post anything but a "I think it felt better" conclusion yet. It might put a little bit of preload ont he gears and make it a little stiffer but anyone going around a tight corner and puts his foot into it will make the tire spin.

That "spring" will not help with the weakest point of the neon differential. The biggest problem these cars have is the diff pin working its'self out and when that happens it grabs part of the case and bad bad things happen. Trust me on that one, I've had it happen.

If someone wanted a true low buck LSD a better idea would be to find out how to get the clutches in there also. It has been done. The posts by Mike V are true, there are ways to get it done. That differential is very much doable and only some machining tools keep me from doing it myself.
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
tricknology

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that sticks are legal for 2008,,,how do you tech for a racing Torsen gleason type torque sensing differential that is available from mopar for the 5 speed manual trans? part # P5007382

here is a link with a pic,,,

http://neons.org/forumdodge/2002_mp_72.jpg

arnold.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnold

First of all if someone wants to spend $1200 on an LSD differential to run a $1000 car then they are not right in the head Smile

Secondly these differentials are easy to check for if it thought a car has one. Jack up one drive wheel, put the car in nuetral, and spin the free wheel. A wheel which is hard to turn is open diff, a wheel which will not turn is a Torsen diff.

The other thing to realize too Arnold is that the LSD's available for the stick are VERY easily adaptable to the automatic too. There are kits available to bolt that differential into an automatic for something like $100. The cheap spider gear replacement LSD's are a direct bolt in. So the stick allowance is a moot point for the LSD argument.

The limited slips available for the Neons, the Shadows/2.5 Dodges, and the Caviliers are typically $250 for a cheap one which does not work so well to $1200-$1400 for the Quafe (that is the Mopar differential btw). If someone is wanting to spend $300 bucks or 3-4 times that for an lsd to race in our class they will be noticbly faster due to spending that much money everywhere else too. If people are running stock or near stock motors they will not have enough power to spin the tires at Springport, at Spartan it might be possible but I know a few front runners never spun an inside tire. The cars just don't make enough horsepower.

If any of the people you send here are having problems with their cars spinning tires the Quafie differential is a very very expensive option to fix the problem. There are many cheaper alternatives that would work as well for their cars.

In my opinion an LSD differential is not needed in our cars under our rules. The time, effort, and money could be spent much better on other areas of the car.
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Cheater Parts ?? Reply with quote

Hey; Why are you even thinking about these cheater parts ,when this is a STOCK CLASS ? And you will get caught and be disqualifyed, Why spend that kind of money to win very little? What we should do is race only for trophy's!! .. Just my 2-cents worth..
Chuck
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheater Parts ?? Reply with quote

chuck ewing wrote:
What we should do is race only for trophy's!! .. Just my 2-cents worth..
Chuck
Maybe they should do that in all the classes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: