Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Shocks Reply with quote

I have looked into a couple of changes that the USA Mods have made and now Kalamazoo has followed. One is to the body which doesn't bother me but the other is to the shocks. They are now allowing aluminum shocks. I am not sure why a change was necessary. For the record I am a proponent for a set of unified rules in order to allow drivers/owners to go where they want, basically I don't like change. Change spurs controversy and personally I can live with out it.

That being said sometimes change can be made because an after market part is less expensive and does not give a competitive advantage. That possibly could make sense. In other words if you run steel or aluminum shocks and there is not a competitive advantage and the aluminum are less money a person could run the steel until they had to replace, then they of course would opt for the less expensive of the two. Unless one had an advantage. Although I don't like change I also have a responsibility to at least ask why?

I am not suggesting change at this time. I am asking why the change with the other rules.
coachraber3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I am not sure why they changed the rule. But...I also dont see the big advantage. We have ran Steel body Pro's for years against the expensive penskis, bilsteins..ect. and I dont think they are that much better. The only benifit I can see, is you dont have to have alot of different shocks. The adjustablility is just for convience, not performance. A steel shock guy could do the same thing buy changing the whole shock. Pro shock will build you whatever you want.

On the cheaper side of things, a guy could hook up with an Late Model guy, that maybe has upgraded to a more expensive shock, and buy there used alumunium shocks for pennies on the dollar.

This is what I get out of the rule change, I am neither for or against it, it makes no difference to me. I just hope that everyone has a simular set of rules.

Thanks,

Ben Raber
RW Motorsports
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that. I'm fairly certain none of us are going to run out and buy $400 shocks. Frankly we don't need them, and we tend to wad them up enough at Spartan. No offense Jim but Spartan can be hard on shocks, especially fronts. Since the idea is unity I would say adopt whatever changes that USA/K-zoo allow. Just my opinion.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the aluminum more money than the steel then?
schinde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Typically yes.

One can always spend a lot on a steel shock or an aluminum one, but the alums are usually the higher dollar part.

have a good day,

schinde
governor72

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: rule changes Reply with quote

I see the USA series has amended the shock rule change that was announced a couple of weeks ago. I talked to Steve today and he had some who were concerned with the new shock rule and has re-thought and came up with a shock rule package that should fit better.

I for one had an adjustable Koni shock and will have to change, but mine were 3 years old and were going to be changed this coming year anyhow.

The amended rule seems to make since and I have already spoke to a couple SLM guy's who have some used aluminums for sale.

Below is the amendment shock rule.

For some other USA rule changes click on the following link.

http://www.usamodifieds.com/2007Site/rules2.htm

The, Governor / Dan Logan

I MADE A MISTAKE....NEW SHOCK RULE
Thread Started on Today at 10:29am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an effort to keep Asphalt Modified Rules uniform and consistent through out the Midwest, I made a huge mistake by modifying the shock rule for 2008 in the UNITED Asphalt Modified Rules. It was brought to my attention that by opening the shock rule up, that race teams would face financial hardships in buying the latest and greatest shock technology on the market year after year. With the cost of racing already high, I do not feel it is in anyone's interest to make it more expensive. We have taken great strides in trying to keep costs in check. While the rules have been posted, I feel now is the time to address this matter rather than wait till next year and try to fix it. With the rules corrections, teams will be able to buy a re-buidable / re-valvable quality shock in the $150 to $250 price range. (Verses the $1000 and up per shock range of an open rule.) It was my mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I hope that it has not caused any financial hardship or in convince to any race team. I also hope that it will not reflect on any race track or sanctioning body that may have adopted the UNITED Asphalt Modified Rules and already posted them. Again I am truly sorry!

The rule will read as follows:
9. SHOCKS: Socks must be, Non adjustable, with No external canisters, and have a racer price of less than $250 New per shock. One shock per wheel, with one (1) additional shock allowed in the lift / pull bar area. No air shocks. No shock covers.

Once again I am sorry!
Steve Ellis
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that better, come to think of it.

See I told Dan he ran all that high dollar adjustable stuff.... lol just kiddin.

A lot of guys ran those shocks. Typically I run the Pro TA series, decent shock for the price and not so heart breaking when you bend one.
governor72

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: shocks Reply with quote

Koni adjustables cost me less than 100.00 new.

These were the least expensive adjustables I could find. Not sure they were all they were cracked up to be. You can get lost if you don't keep track of the adjustments.

I will go back to the KISS theory for 2008.

Dan
schinde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Does that include the makeup and the Gene Simmon's tongue?

(couldn't resist)

I have been running the Pro's and Pro TA's also, and agree with Perry, it isn't as heartbreaking when you bend one.

have a good day,

schinde
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocks are more of a fine tune adjustment. you can spend 50 bucks on a shock (like we did) and still be fast. you can spend 1000 bucks on a shock and still be slow. you arent going to be at any huge advantage if you spend alot on shocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: