Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

2008 Tire Rule (Final)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Modifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: 2008 Tire Rule (Final) Reply with quote

The 2008 tire rule is now available online. PDF version will be available soon.

Link to tire rule

Jim Barker - Timing, Scoring & Other Stuff

Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 265/60X15 tire will be the 704 compound which is the same compound as the old MMA tire, NOT the old Sportsman tire. That will be made clearer in the rules.
modman55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the rules. Sounds like it will work alright to me. Sounds like you covered all the bases, Jim. Should work.

Larry
Jim B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tire rule updated and cross references added.

Jim Barker - Timing, Scoring & Other Stuff

modman55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the rule again. Just want to clarify this. The Hoosier can only be run on the Brian Heeney race with the 50# weight penality & 58% left side rule. All other weeks you must run American Racer only. Is that correct? I'm talking about Spartan only.

Larry
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, That is correct. Just the one night. That night there will not be a registration fee for one time travelers but regular points will apply. Our registered drivers points will be moved up so there will not be gaps in the point system.
mod911

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move to seperate Spartan mods from the rest of the world. I guess a tire salesman is more important than a good car count. I will take Fridays off rather than buy another set of tires and wheels for one track. That is a Michigan thing,keep making stuff that is oddball just because we did it for a long time. Then wonder why we're almost out of business.
When 970's are allowed call me,or not. I am sure the few homies left over in Lansing are elated now that competition is thwarted and they can make the show by just showing up.
CC32

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Mod tire rule Reply with quote

Jim,

Quote from the rules - "You may purchase up to four new tires for practice before 4/25 (opening night), and one time from opening night until 5/30."

So I can buy four from each track for practice, and four from each track for racing. Total of 16 tires, then one per night there after, correct?

What is the price of a tire this year? And are tires available for purchase now for car set up?

Thanks,
Brian
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For where we are at this time at Spartan and SMS this is probably the best deal. It's not a very bad one any way. I think it will teach some tire management, along with some budget management. Let's give it some time to get it right. We may just find that this works pretty darn good.

Perry

Last edited by Lack o Diesel on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, You do have it correct. Going into the season there are plenty of opportunities to purchase tires. I think the cost is 108. with mounting and taxes included but the note I am looking at doesn't have a date on it, so I could be wrong. Wayne will get you some tires before practice starts if you call him at 517-270-3720.
CC32

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Mod tire rules Reply with quote

Jim,
Thanks for the quick answer. I'll give Wayne a call.

I'm happy with the tire rules, and just wanted to be sure I had a clear understanding.

Thanks,
Brian
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I can buy four from each track for practice, and four from each track for racing. Total of 16 tires, then one per night there after, correct?

For those who can afford it, a Modified team racing at Spartan could actually end up with 23 brand new tires before June.

You can buy 4 tires during practice and 4 on opening night. Then go to Springport for practice and opening night to get 8 more tires. You can buy 4 new tires on May 30th during the Brian Heeney race. Plus there are 3 more Friday nights in May for 3 more tires. You've now got an inventory of 23 tires going into June.

There are 13 more nights of racing up to Championship night after May at Spartan which will get you another 13 tires. That gives you a total of 36 tires for 18 races at Spartan plus the opening night at Springport.

The better funded teams will have the tire advantage. Plus, what is preventing a high-dollar team from buying new tires from another team during the month of May? There is currently no rule preventing this. If a rule is implemented to prevent selling tires between teams, then this will also prevent a low-budget team from buying used tires from a high-dollar team.

The Sportsman teams will have the same problem.

I don't see any cost saving with the new tire rules. The big buck teams will have all the new tires they want and will have at least 2, if not more, fresh tires on the car every night. The low-buck teams will still be running on used tires while buying new tires for their high-dollar buddies.

The above is simply my observation on this topic, and a prediction of how things are going to turn out.

-Maurice
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each tire is individually seriel numbered which allows for some policing. If we wanted to be 100% on top of this issue we would need to impound. With two tracks that is out of the question for the drivers and the tracks. The tire issue isn't perfect but it is a compromise.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clairification....will the Harvest be a one tire night or can u buy four and/or use your 970's?
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I would forget something!!! For Harvest lets use the same rule as the Brian Heeney Memorial. You may purchase four new American Racers or use Hoosiers with the the penalty.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: