Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

new pony...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: new pony... Reply with quote

So it says no where in the rules that you have to use american made cars anymore. So in that case we are building a Mazda 626, 2.2 liter, 125 horsepower. I believe this will fit in the rules and blow away all those neons away. Just got back from working on the car! SWEET!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis ONeil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that. A died in the wool UAW GM worker going to race a Jap car.
Should we notify your union president?

VIVA LA BONZAI

"A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.............WORKS BETTER WHEN OPEN"
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: new pony... Reply with quote

Sortabigg wrote:
So it says no where in the rules that you have to use american made cars anymore. So in that case we are building a Mazda 626, 2.2 liter, 125 horsepower. I believe this will fit in the rules and blow away all those neons away. Just got back from working on the car! SWEET!!!

The Mazda 2.2 engines (the F2 and the F2T) were 12v motors.

The rules state : No turbo, multi-carburetor, rotary, mid or rear engine, Cosworth, Neon ACR, Magnum, RT or engines with more than 8 valves. Exception: Single OHC, 2.0, 16 valve Neon - 1995 to 1999. Neons 2000 and up are limited to the 132hp base engine. Neons with DOHC engines and 150hp SOHC Magnum engines are NOT ALLOWED.

Sorry Steve.. only us Neon Boys get to have double digit valved motors, with the 30% HP advantage and independent rear suspension.

Hope you didn't spend too much time on it the powers that be don't want the Neon club broken up.
oldgold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: mazda Reply with quote

Dennis how do you know the union pres doesnt drive a foriegn car?
looks like its the Neon club or those tiny underpowered cavs or tempos. and what you race doesnt necessaraly mean what you drive for a personal vehicle. Laughing
Dennis ONeil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
Are you trying to tell me that there might be foreign cars in the union hall parking lot?...................LOL

Seriously a Mazda? That's like double bad for a GM employee!
It's a Japanese Ford!

"A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.............WORKS BETTER WHEN OPEN"
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

Well thats to bad Patrick, We're going to lobby harder for this one than we did the manuals! Get it ready, we're coming! Cage is already in it.

Dennis, I honest to god saw our Local 652 Chairman driving a Ford Fusion the other day, with a UAW local 652 sticker on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I must be out of the loop..............

When is the Neon Boys club meeting and where is it held at????

Is it a no girls allowed kind of club or will Ashley be allowed since she races a Neon?????

Are there dues to pay or is this a non union group???

Oh ya, I thought that patrick was a ford man, or does he swing both ways????

Seriously I think that if Sorta wants to leave his GM roots and race a jap ford we all should welcome him with some rice cakes and some sweet & sour chicken..... Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

IT'S late and I am just trying to make everyone smile a little Very Happy

Lobby hard Sorta maybee you can get that mazda in some races this season, if not sooner you can run it on the run what ya brung open nites.

I like the fact that people are always trying to come up with a larger / different group of cars to pull from. Always good for the compition to be at it's best.

Thanks
1st and only automatic pony in the 15's
Team Never Dead Racing Team Beacon
If you are not having fun while racing, Adjustments are definitely needed !!!!!
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness Yogi.. so MANY different ways to go with that post !!

LOL !!

I'll just say that I think that any normally aspirated, SOHC, 16V motor should be allowed.. but especially the SOHC 12v cars.
Bardenracing42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be the heavy or anything here, but "Jap" is considered a racial/ethnic slur to many folks. Can we please just leave that one off the board?

Thanks
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Madza 626 Reply with quote

Steve;
Not knowing what year mazda you are building But, (79-87) Mazda 626 4dr sedan 2.0 liter SOHC (8 valve)engine legal per rules , (88-92) Mazda 626 4dr sedan had 2.2 DOHC (12Valve) engine ,per the rules not legal ,(93-2002)Mazda 626 4dr sedan had 2.0 liter DOHC (16Valve) ,per rules not legal ,also has 105.1" WB (Midsize car)not a pony stock. Read start of rules, If in dought check it out before buying or building a car.
Chuck
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve -- You can take the head off a B2200 Pick up truck (which was an 8v head) and put in on your 2.2 bottom end.

Chuck.. The Mazda 2.2 was a SOHC motor, not DOHC.

The F2 (Mazda's 2.2) is a stroked version of the FE, introduced for the 1988-1992 GD platform cars, it can also be found in the B2200 pickup. Although available as an 8-valve SOHC in the B2200, this car is most commonly a 12-valve SOHC, with an 86 mm bore and 94 mm stroke with an 8.6:1 compression ratio. It generates 110 hp (82 kW) @ 4700 rpm and 130 ft·lbf (176 N m).

Compared to Dodge's 2.0L, the Neon 16v SOHC motor with an 87.5 mm bore and 83 mm stroke and 9.8:1 compression ratio. It generates 132 hp (98 kW) @ 6000 rpm and 129 ft·lbf (175 N•m) @ 5000 rpm.

Why would the SOHC 12v 2.2L 110 hp Mazda engine be illegal, but the SOHC 16v 2.0L 135 hp Dodge engine be okay ?

I know, I know.. I'm just saying
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, is the mazda in question legal or not?? Chuck , you need to make the call on this now. before they get any farther. Rules are rules. People need to READ the rules BEFORE they build a car. If there is any question , then they need to make a call and find out for sure. JMHO
John
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.. assuming that the 12v head is illegal (even though it shouldn't be), putting a 8v head on it would make it legal would it not ?
Mopar93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the list of cars that are legal in the Pony Stock class as of last year:

http://spartanspeedway.com/OldBoardStuff/AllowablePonies.html

If there are any Mazda models that would be eligible, someone should add them to the list.

GM lovers should study that list and pay close attention to the '80-'85 GM X body cars such as the Chevrolet Citation. I still feel that would be the hottest GM car with a 151 cubic inch carbureted engine. There is no rev limiter on those cars. Nobody has built one of these cars yet. That engine is mostly a 302 Chevy V8 sawed in half. They come with a two-barrel carburetor, and electronic ignition with adjustable timing. They also have a computer, but with limited functionality. I made mention of this car 3 or 4 years ago and still nobody has built one.

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:
John.. assuming that the 12v head is illegal (even though it shouldn't be), putting a 8v head on it would make it legal would it not ?

Patrick, I know it's none of my business anymore, but the Pony Stock class has always required the car to have an engine that was available for that particular model. So, if a car only came with 12 valves, you can't put an 8 valve head on it.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: