Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Proposed 08 Tire Rule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
queenbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Modifieds Reply with quote

Wow...Imagine that...
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick that was the stupidest thing i have ever heard. as drivers we want nothing more than a good car count.
mod911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a homie anywhere,I run everywhere and call no where home. I just made it thru a whole year with out being kicked out is all.
If everyone wants to run the same tire just do it,run 970's like the rest of the state. What is this +*$# about trying to get everyone on one tire when Spartan is THE only track not running 970's on mods. You can't feed me that +*$# buddy boy.
Just what good is a meeting to tell you what you are going to buy to race there,not a meeting to discuss rules as always just to inform you as to what they already decided. Jim knew what my opinion was and still does but if he wants a poor field of cars then fine,A-C has better paying Friday night races and sensible rules now, maybe thanks to me bitching all year and not going there once. They called me and invited me and I told them to fix the rules and they did. Spartan will be calling drivers mid season also.
A bunch of bulll gets talked up by flash in the pans and then they go away and I get the expense of the stupid +*$# they talked a promoter into doing. Not again.
" Keep it homie" is Spartan and Dixie's motto. Every track pays better than Spartan and is on a common tire and you Spartan homies think you are on the cutting edge of mod racing. You are just dragging it back into the stone age.
I am starting my 20th year in a mod and I have a better grasp on it than a couple of not even one track wonders have I would say.
This crap is what killed the limited lates. Must be the same thinkers in charge again.
coachraber3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Kalamazoo Speedway based Modified team is looking to travel to spartan and springport both. We only have 14 scheduled mod shows at the zoo, and will need somewhere to travel....

The two closest tracks for us to go, would be Spartan or Springport. Do I have to buy a set of tires for spartan and springport.....or I can only buy 2 and race on someone elses old junk......

This is real confusing. I understand that you need to take care of your "homies", but how are you ever going to invite new cars and even future "homies" if your tire rule isnt simular to 95% of all of the other tracks around...well it is more than that, because EVERY other mod track around here have adapted to the USA rules and the 970 tire, with the execption of the shock rule....

We want to come and race...and would love to have you over at the zoo on your off nights.....

Ben Raber
RW Motorsports..
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben, This year our tire rule is complicated, mostly because of this: In 05 were a MMA track running on the MMA American Racer. In 06 we did not go with MMA as Spartan would have been the only asphalt track so when it came "tire time" we were surprised to find out that American Racer did not produce that tire because the MMA didn't need any so we switched to what we refer to as our Sportsman tire. To try to make things easy for everyone we said bring your Hoosiers if you want. To everyones surprise the Hoosier was much slower so people primarily ran the Sportsman tire. The Sportsman tire did not last long enough and tire bills were sky rocketing so in 08 we have arranged to have the old MMA tire back which is a 704 compound. This compound is harder and will last longer thus managing tire bills.

Now the reason the rule is complicated is not because I like confusion, it is so our Mod drivers could use their old MMA tires from before, sell any tires they had from last year to the Sportsman and limit what they spend once the season starts. Next season the tire rule will be VERY simple.

All of that information was just for practice. Now I will try to answer your question:

You might think about taking a run to Spartan or SMS on our practice days and picking up two or four tires. You can use them at either track. If you want to wait until the season starts you can show up at Spartan up to and including May 30th (the Brian Heeney Memorial) and purchase up to four. Same goes with SMS except the cut off date which is May 24.
After those dates or after you have purchased four you can only purchase one tire per night but there should be a lot of take offs available as well.

You can also run your 970's at SMS if you add 50 lbs and use 58% ls weight.

If you need to call my number is 517-244-1042.
mod911

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just where has this so called fact of tires wearing out too fast come from? I had no trouble,the champ and 2 wins in a night and 100 lap winner had no problem and we have discussed this over dinner quite a few times and do not have that answer. Forcing everyone to spend 600 bucks plus to save us money is not even a defensible position in any way. Except profit to the ones who decide we need to save money.
I rarely buy more than one tire a night anyway but some like to get rights or all four at once. How is this tire game saving money and what if I sent my wife to buy tires or a stranger who does not even have a racer? I s Wayne gong to check credentials before every tire sale? What if I go buy tires and sell em for profit to a car that had his one tire already? Who will track cars and sales? Will info be public or need to know basis? What if I think someone has too many new tires,who processes and investigates complaints? Will ilegal tires be grounds for d-q?
Spartan and Dixie do not understand mods and the uniform rules thing either.
What if Paul or Mike owned a bowling alley? Would my ball be legal there? How about my shoes? Maybe be like IMCA and claim them?
It was explained to me the other day that I was a poor engine builder cause I blew up motors frequently in the claimer days. That may look and sound good as 10-15 motors a year was nornal. But then I explained that for 16 years of mod racing I did not install one race piston or bore 1 block and most every engine came from a yard pile. None were balanced,dyno'd or anything other than a wolverine 997 cam with knurled valve guides installed. So, maybe the thinking should be how did I win more than 200 races with junk yard motors? Not to mention several were claimed.
Only knowing one side of misinformation will not lead to good decisions.I see this as being the case with tires. Some spread misinformation and pass it off as fact and ignore people asking where these facts came from.
Not one person has stated here that their right rear or front mysteriously burned off quickly. Tell us your car number and the rest of us can tell you why you have trouble,fast racers(winners at mulyiple tracks) have followed you and can tell you. Blaming the tires,track or the sunlight does not appply.
We had one expensive mistake last year and now those same ones want another in 08 and maybe another in 09. Great so that compromises the last few nights this year. Why buy new tires for the last 2 nights if you may not be able use them next year? But, then you may lose second place in points if you don't waste hundreds on new tires tonight. How is this a savings?
I guess if you wan to win you will have to spend for a 1 night tires on championship night this year. Then trash em,don't even say sell em cause u can't get 10 bucks for em delivered.
I assume this was thunked out by management......
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: