Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Econo Mod Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governor72

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: mod turnout Reply with quote

Maurice,

FYI, the USA show at Flat Rock only had 20 cars and only 2 Kalamazoo regulars attended that race.

I know Harry Foote spent so much time and effort in getting his SLM ready for the "Call of The Wild" @ Kalamazoo, he didn't have the time to get his mod ready. Row Z is correct that Nyle and I were the ONLY mods who ventured to the ZOO for Call of the Wild, were we ran against any type of car.

Bret Hook didn't race at all as he was coaching his sons football team on Saturday. And some had just had enough racing for one year.

Shinde is still off on medical leave, Oz put his car up after Spartan, Ken Bushner wrecked his car the night before @ Spartan, there was a race for mods @ Owosso on Saturday that Larry Wallace was at, plus one @ Baer Field.

With the price of gas @ +3.00 per gal it has really put a dampner on travel, I know I did not travel to any track's other than Spartan, CCS and Kalamazoo this year, which is the fewest tracks I have ran in years.

Gary is hoping for 50 mods @ the Super Shoe next weekend, which pays 2007.00 to win, with 175.00 to start, but I doubt he will hit that number.

I feel that too many tracks are trying to run specials to late in the year.

Any race after Labor Day weekend is a crap shoot these days. You have kids back in school, high school, pee wee & college football, etc.

I would like to see the tracks end their regular season points mid August and have the last 2 weeks to hold specials, then have the fun nights after Labor Day.

Your payoff was not what kept the car count down, but the open rules may have been a factor.

Just my thoughts.

The, Governor / Dan Logan
ron1r31

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: alright Reply with quote

you know i sit here and listen to all of what everyone thinks of the mod's and what they should do with the rules. well as i see it most of you all don't even run a mod so what give you the right to have anything to say about the rules. if you want a voice in what is going on move up into the mods. i don't have a say in the rules for the pony stock or the street class.as far as buying a motor no thanks i'll build my own. i like to go fast and if i want to go slow i would drop down a class. if they want econ mod take the fender s off the pony and that way you can save money. i for one say leave the rules for mods alone. sorry son i couldn't hold it no more. ron1r
oldgold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: purse Reply with quote

maurice I dont think the purse is the problem with todays racing.
Its the economy and cost to get there.
I-96 had A late model purse best in the state and it did not bring anymore cars.
I think you have the right idea on entry level mods as a way to keep racers racing as I myself have a new unfinished harsen copy mod in my garage and with all the going back and forth with MMA or no MMA i just let it set
I dont think racers should have to refinance your future to go race.
I refuse to spend bookuu bucks to race that division
I built a 383 with dart heads and hyper pistons for about $1200 bucks and used it 2 years before i broke a piston and that was about as cheap as you can go. old gold
Tony_Pastorino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "run what ya brung" rule was the only thing that kept us from racing at the Michigan Cup. We were going to buy tires for season champ night at Spartan, run the Harvest, and then race at Calhoun county. Instead we got a set of hoosiers for $100, and my dad raced at Owosso for their last two weeks.

Not trying to knock anyone I just think for people like us who don't already have side boards, and 10" rims or wide five plates it's a lot of added cost and effort. Although it was nice to finally get to use all that motor we had to keep under wraps at Spartan all year!
ron1r31

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

tony you didn't have to buy tires all you had to do was go over to the tire truck and he would give you all you wanted. as far as rims goes a lot of the guys used 8" and they worked fine. sorry you didn't know about the free tires maybe next year.ron
amgrunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Run What You Brung Reply with quote

The run what you brung rules was part of the reason the 36 mod was not at the Michigan Cup. But mainly it was the bad luck we had after we crashed the car at Angola the end of August and could not get the handling back. If we would have been a little more competitive the month of August than what we were we would have considered coming. I feel the purse was pretty good. We ran two nights a week all season long and were wore out by the end of the year. As far as mod rules go the only thing that needs to addressed in my opinion are the tires. The American Racers did not last but 3-4 nights and than they went away. Can not afford to buy tires every 3-4 weeks. So I think we need to go to a harder compound that would slow the cars down and give us better tire ware.

Tom Williams
Tony_Pastorino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,
Are you talking about American Racers or hoosiers. Because I got six hoosiers three with less than 60 laps on them from the 34 Super that ran them one night at Angola, and I never heard that anyone was getting tires given to them or I would have been first in line...

Can't wait to see you all at the banquet, and get to racin next year.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody I talked to ahead of time wanted to do "Run what ya brung" at the Michigan Cup.

I guess the guys that don't show up never speak ahead of time, only afterwards.

-Maurice
ron1r31

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

tony all you have to do is ask most of the supers and they'll give you tire to run the fun night at spartan. sure wish you all would have been they. i had a good time running with you guy this year. my boy harry ran 8" rims at spartan and the cup did good at the cup got taken out at spartan on the frist lap. and tom i think the reason you guy from that side of town didn't come was because it was cool.lol. see you all at the party. ron
Tony_Pastorino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice,
I might have missed something along the way which is totally possible, because of my ADD!!!! LOL. No worries, just thought I'd add my thoughts to the post.

And to stay on the original topic of this post. I think that what you are trying to put together here is a good idea. There are a lot of Mods that I know of that aren't being run simply because of the cost to keep up in our division. It also sticks with your theme that you already have in place at Springport with the lower budget classes.
amgrunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with the keeping the cost down just not sure what is the best way to do it. No not to cool to be at the Michigan Cup ron just didn't run that well after the crash in Angola. Time to tear the car apart and make it competitive is all.

The run what you brung was not the reason we were not at the Michigan Cup. It was a factor but not completely. Mainly we had not been running that well.

I was at the cup on Saturday just not there on Sunday is all. As a matter of fact I came to try to help the 8 car from Angola. He and I are good friends and had I known earlier that he was coming I would not of dismantled my car as quick.

I did have to return from heading up north on Saturday after the mod feature when the call came in that Gator had been injured. So we went to the hospital until we sure he was going to be ok. The only brother I have.

Tom Williams
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea that I think would be cool...

Since the existing Mods that would come and run in the Econo Mod class already weigh 2400 or 2450 pounds depending on head material, keep them at that weight. Actually keep them at that weight with the existing body rules they are built by.

However, anyone who wants to revert back to the old way of building a Modified as well as running an econo type engine with 2-bbl carb and all, could weigh 2300 pounds. When I say old way of thinking, I'm talking about using actual factory body panels.

I think it would be cool to see some Modifieds with Dodge Neon or Chevy Cavalier sheetmetal from the cowl on back. I'm talking about all the outer sheetmetal, doors, roof, quarter panels, and deck lid. There are several other car models that would work as well.

That's the way "Modifieds" really should be. Otherwise, what are they modified from?

-Maurice
CC32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooler still would be to use old Vega, Gremlin, or Pinto body's!
Retro Mods! LOL! To bad they would be scarce as hens teeth to find.

The production body idea is interesting.
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice I was for the open rules and was ready to be there until I blew the motor at the Zoo the week previous. Sorry I wasn't able to make it out.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar93 wrote:
Another idea that I think would be cool...

Since the existing Mods that would come and run in the Econo Mod class already weigh 2400 or 2450 pounds depending on head material, keep them at that weight. Actually keep them at that weight with the existing body rules they are built by.

However, anyone who wants to revert back to the old way of building a Modified as well as running an econo type engine with 2-bbl carb and all, could weigh 2300 pounds. When I say old way of thinking, I'm talking about using actual factory body panels.

I think it would be cool to see some Modifieds with Dodge Neon or Chevy Cavalier sheetmetal from the cowl on back. I'm talking about all the outer sheetmetal, doors, roof, quarter panels, and deck lid. There are several other car models that would work as well.

That's the way "Modifieds" really should be. Otherwise, what are they modified from?

-Maurice

So if a person were to put Neon sheetmetal on a Modified then he could run a lighter weight?

I just might have to try and find a modified if this is allowed!!! Laughing Laughing
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: