Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Proposed 08 Tire Rule
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Proposed 08 Tire Rule Reply with quote

The Modified Tire Rule as posted on the web site is incorrect. I am now posting a revised rule but before I have Jim B. put it in the rules I thought I would post it here as a proposed rule so if I have missed something I'll bet someone can point it out for me.

The American Racer 265/60X15 is the required tire for the 2008 season. You MAY purchase four on opening night but you are not required to do so. On subsequent nights you may purchase only one tire.

The old MMA tire that was used up to the 2007 may also be used as it the same compound as the 2008 version. The Sportsman tire that was used last year may not be used but we will leave the Sportsman on that tire or the Modified tire for the 2008 season to allow for an outlet for those Mod drivers that still have some of them.

This allows for savings in this respect.

1. The new 704 compound tire will be longer lasting.
2. The one tire rule will keep cost down.
3. The Sportsman Division can still use the tires you have left from last year (if any).
4. This should allow for some decent take offs in the event of a traveler needs some tires. They could get three used and the one new.

We have attempted to get a longer lasting tire and keep cost down. People that still have MMA tires can now clean the garage and if you still have the Sportsman tire the Sportsman Division can use them. Probably not perfect but tell me what you think BEFORE I mail out letters to all of last years registered drivers.

If you want you can call the office at 517-244-1042 or email info@spartanspeedway.com
Thanks
61SSracer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

What tires will you be selling this season for the Sportsman to use? Will it be Only the 704 tire for sale, or the 704 AND the Sportsman tire from last year?

ATTN. ANY MOD DRIVERS THAT HAVE ANY NEW/NEAR NEW TIRES LEFT FROM LAST YEAR ~ I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BUYING THEM IF THEY ARE AT A REASONABLE PRICE !

CHUCK AMMERMAN

517-388-2421
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

That rule seems reasonable and fair to me. I'd post it.

Perry
governor72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: tire rule Reply with quote

DITTO

Dan
modfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frankly believe we should go to a 10 inch slick and no limit on how many you can buy.

JUST MESSING AROUND
GOOD JOB JIM IT LOOKS GOOD
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought. If I can only buy 4 tires opening night. What happens if I have a flat. I'm done for the night. Perhaps I don't have any old 704's. Maybe we should be allowed 5 or maybe 6. Just a thought, I'll probably get murdered on here for that. Also does this rule apply Springport?

Perry
schinde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been busy trying to get people to figure out what it is that I am thinking,

I haven't responded to this one yet.

First thought. Go with the rule as above.

Second thought.

Keep the four tire purchase rule open for opening night and the week after, but allowed to buy four on your first night only, be it the first or second week. I'm sure Wayne and Co. can keep track of your purchases to prevent someone from buying four each night for that first two weeks.

Allow any tire to be run as the "backup tire for that first two week period, as Perry said, if a tire gets cut down, you are done without an old 704. After "your" first night at the track, you must then be on 704's all the way around.

I don't have any old 704's, so I definitely would be done the first night should I lose a tire.

Just my 2 cents worth.

have a good day,

schinde
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if someone did not get there until mid-season? Or a traveler? Should they be allowed to buy four or five and start behind the invert? I realize we may have used tires available which is good for some but some won't want used. If they are allowed to buy new at least we can be sure there are some available. The Sportsman Division will be switching to this tire next season (2009) but some may choose to run on it this season because of the longevity, they sometimes use up the used tire inventory.
Mod88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sportsman rules it says they must be on the 704 compound tire starting 5/23. Doesn't say anything about switchilng over in 2009. Jim how are you going to police this? A lot of mod guys have the sportsman/mod tires on hand.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to the change on th site yet. Jim B. has been too busy but he will change the rule soon.

For 08 the Sportsman can run on the old Street Stock tire, which will be available all season, the new Mod tire or the old MMA tire. In 09 they will need to run the new Mod tire. This gives plenty of notice.

We shouldn't have to police it now with this rule. However in the future you will find all of the new Mod tires individually marked with a unique serial number. Does that seem any clearer than mud?
wayfastwhitey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
What about tires for practices before the season? Between Mike and I, I'm not sure we even have 4 tires that hold air. Shocked

If we buy 4 at practice, and 4 opening night, are the 4 practice tires not allowed? If not is that different from someone bringing in decent tires from years back? (or is that not allowed either)

I guess overall I'd like to see a couple of provisions for building up a bank of tires, i.e. 6 tires the first week, or 4 at practice that must be ran at the test and tune, and then 4 the first week. I guess it gets complicated that way.

No ill will intended.
schinde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin,

Good question, as I only have the sportsman tires on hand for myself, I got rid of my old 704 compound tires last year.

So, do I test and tune on those and buy four new opening night, or buy them at test and tune and use them up before opening night.

And again, if I get a ripped up tire?

Just a little tweak might be in order here for that given question.

Maybe your first four bought at test and tune will allow you to purchase two new opening night? That keeps the stocking up on tires gambit out of the equation, but does give some allowance for not having any in stock at all, having at least a spare in case of cut down tire, and keeps us all on nearly an even plane for season opener.

have a good day,

schinde
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. I am going to let this run a few more days and then we will have to commit so everyone can get ready. The easy way would be to just state a rule but I would like to get the tire rule where we can get it as right as possible and leave it alone.
wayfastwhitey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I'm just curious for the most part. We're working out our tire conservation strategy, and just trying to figure out how to approach it. As far as the rule goes, as long as it's the same for all competitors (including part-timers) then I'll be happy.
oz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it would be best to allow us to buy four tires on test and tune day due to the fact that the tires change size after a heat cycle. Then after the first heat cycle they pretty much hold their size.This would allow us to heat cycle a set of tires so they will size up, then during the week before the first race we will be able to accurately setup our cars with the tires we will race on.Then we could buy one or two on opening night just to have a spare or two.Then one tire a night for the rest of the season will allow teams to have more than enough tire inventory for the season.If a team did not show up for test and tune then they could buy 5 or 6 tires on opening night. But as Gavin said, whatever you decide, as long as it's the same for everybody then it's all good. Thanks for listening to our input before making a final decision. Sincerely,
Chris Ozanich

PS Gavin, if you and Mike need some tires that hold air for test and tune then let me know,I got your back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: