Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

The Pure Stock Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bardenracing42

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC rules cure all this mess.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Even though I should have Very Happy
putput75

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bardenracing42 wrote:
ABC rules cure all this mess.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Even though I should have Very Happy

No No No don't apologize, it's ok to let out your true feelings.

New classes at SS and SMS:

1) Ponies (no modifications just a 4cyl and a cage)
2) Horses (modified ponies)
3) Pures (cars off the streets of the 1980ís w/cage)
4) FWD (1995 and newer with cage)
5) RWD (we can really call them STREET STOCKís)
6) Sportsman (modified street stocks)
7) MODS (modified sportsman with out fenders)
8.) SLM & LLM (modified MODS with fenders back on)
To be continued in 2010

This of course is meant to be a joke.

ABC, it's as easy as 123!!
NOT SORRY

Last edited by putput75 on Thu May 15, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a track the size of Springport watching four or five cars compete is not entertaining for the people that entered through the general admission side, especially if the cars don't all finish. It seems to me that if all of the cars that I keep hearing about show up then one division will eventually take off and of course that will leave the other to run on their own as well, which is the way I thought most had planned on. When the fwd is able to run on their own I think it will encourage that class to grow, much like the Ponies did. It should be a very affordable option to racing for the future. If you look at the cars on the road today they are almost all fwd v-6.

There are some other things we can do to make the division more fun but just not after one week. I guess you will form what ever opinion you want regardless of what I post. I would encourage you to give all of this a little more time and not jump to conclusions prematurely.

Again there are some other options available but we need to see what we have first, then we can make better choices.
idiotracer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently do not race but want to same day soon. I have talked to patrick about leasing a FWD and it sounded like a pretty good thing and in fact a buddy of mine did sign on for the year and is racing. I do not attend last weeks race but did talk to my buddy and these are just my thoughts...take them for what they are worth as an outsider who may want to join.

The facts as I know:
1. The FWD drive cars will NEVER be competitive with the RWD cars
2. Neither the FWD nor the RWD drives have enough cars alone to run a seperate class
3. The cheapest form of racing is the FWD class, not the Ponies
4. The RWD cars dominated last week and the points and payouts were not kept seperate

Now here is my suggestion....again take it for what it is worth as someone who is not on the track but sits in the stands.

Jim you are correct, we as fans do not want to see just 5 cars on the track. We also do not want to see 20 cars on the track following each other in a single file line either. We want action!
So if you don't have enough cars for 2 seperate classes, why not give two greens and two checkers. The RWD can start up front in a pack and the FWD can start half a straight away behind them in a pack. That way, similar paced cars will all be together right from the start. There would be action all over the place and when the RWD catch the FWD and start to lap them then it would get even more interesting. Points and payouts kept seperate as well.

Maybe this is a dumb idea....I don't know. Just a thought.
Hope to see everyone soon on the track.
allhailfaz13

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that the pure rwd is a good starter because its alot harder to go from a fwd to a rwd and for the hole money thing im running a pure i have no job and im in high school im doing odd jobs here and there to be able to have money to race so i get nothing from my parents so i dont see where its not a good class to start in i for one have always worked around rwd carbrated vehicles and the hole ponys is alot of confusing stuff to me. i think that yea the pures have got out of control because there are alot of things done to the cars that shouldent be allowed all they say is o you have to add so much weight and little do they know you add weight where you want it, it can help you and make you even faster. there are alot of things that need to be changed in this class but im happy to be racing and people need to have that attuide and not just put so much money in to a pure they need to move up to a sportsman. or go andd race somewere else and quit complaning!!!!
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jim is on the right track here.. and after speaking with him today, I'm going to wait a week to see how Saturday goes.

But it appears that the FWD and the RWD will get seperate heats this weekend, that should give those drivers a chance to experience the whole "first across the line".

Josh did get checkered flag treatment at the end of the race last Saturday and I'd assume that will continue.

The SMS team is going to give strong and fair consideration to returning the points and payouts to the 2007 system.. with FWD and RWD earning seperate points and while the two classes run together a ladder payout system being used.

I'm hopeful that once the FWD or RWD get to 10+ cars, that the two classes will then run seperately permenantly.. It would be nice to see either the FWD or RWD get a different name so it isn't so confusing as to whether its one class or two (beating a dead horse I know) and hopefully once one of the classes gets to 10 cars it will grow into a robust class like the Pony's.
markmantyla

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i need to try that, i am gonna quit my job and go back to school...maybe then i will have enough money to go race.

somehow that argument doesnt make sense to me....

I am happy that you are racing, but some of us just dont have all kinds of money to spend on this stuff, but yet we want to have fun too... i cant believe how many people are acting like the v6's are just a crap class that doesnt deserve to exist

thats most of what i am taking away from alot of this thread.
Dirt63

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its time to open the v6's up. Lighten the cars. Put more weight in the V8s. Now I don't race these and to be honest I haven't read the rules completely but I know that the ponys FWD can run with the Pony RWD cars.
markmantyla

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not exactly a bad idea Joe, the problem is, what happens to the cost when you open up the rules.....goes WAY up. I dont know if that is what we want to do in a begginer class.

also, you are comparing the FWD to RWD the only problem is v6 to v8, where in the ponies it is all 4cyl. Granted you can make them comparable time wise, but at what cost?
KT

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there were 10 RWD pure stocks at Spartan tonight and zero FWD.

www.myspace.com/ktfor3
superfast14

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Four of them were from AC/Dixie. (Lamson, Stearns, Lechota, and Saumier) and not to mention swept the top four spots!

Just a reminder, these folks want to come to R&R too!!
#87 ShortTrackTrucks.com Challenge Series
www.kylecallahanracing.com
Jimmy48

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: r and r Reply with quote

if there cars are legal they should be able to come to r and r why would you not want them to come?
superfast14

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a tire issue between the two, not sure if Spartan made it OK for these guys to run their tires or if the Dixie/AC cars that came changed their tires to run the past few weeks.
#87 ShortTrackTrucks.com Challenge Series
www.kylecallahanracing.com
schinde

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was posted,

Jim and I are working tigether on this issue.

IT WILL NOT BE A POINTS NIGHT FOR ANY REGULAR CLASS.

REGISTERED COMPETITORS AT SPRINGPORT WILL RECEIVE SHOW UP POINTS (50) I BELIEVE.

Look for the final word soon on this issue for R&RIV.

have a good day,

schinde
Big Ed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="superfast14"]Keith,

Four of them were from AC/Dixie. (Lamson, Stearns, Lechota, and Saumier) and not to mention swept the top four spots!

Just a reminder, these folks want to come to R&R too!![/quote]

You write that like there is something wrong with that Kyle!!!

These drivers are not just visiting, they plan on running Spartan every Friday that Auto City isn't running, and all the Sunday shows. They were teched, and legal, and are even MUCH heavier than our regular cars we see.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Those drivers will only IMPROVE our local drivers, and how they look at building Pure Stocks, and setting them up. And every single one of those drivers will let you look their cars over, answer any question you might have, and even help steer you in the right direction if you'd like to build one like theirs. They all come from racing families on the East side, and are more than willing to help anyone.

If you don't believe that they are no different then our regular drivers, just ask the Drake Family. They helped Lonnie out Friday night, and Lonnie ended up winning the feature.

Them coming over here is a GOOD thing. For our drivers to learn, and our fans to watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: