Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

The Pure Stock Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck also tore down the top four Friday which made for a long night for anyone that traveled. It had nothing to do with the finishing order, the teching was planned in advance. We had even purchased intake gaskets earlier in the day. Personally I am glad to see drivers choose to race at Spartan, we consider it a compliment.
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "IMPROVE".

Id consider it a compliment if we all had to run by the same rules. No grey areas. No last minute decisions. And maybe a little more support for the guys who actually come to the track every week, with thier family and friends, spend the hard earned cash that we work for all week and try are hardest to compete on a budget. ECONOMY CLASS. Please read the first notice in the Pure Stock rules that you wrote.

Notice # 1: The Pure Stock division is new for the 2008 season. It was added in an attempt to provide a more affordable option to racing. Due to the many makes and models available for use, restrictions and minor changes may need to take place during the season as we learn more about this new division.

Did we all lose site of the affordable part?
fiestyredhead269

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: pure stocks- RWD & fwd Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad i agree 100% with monzilla. Why is everyone praising the guys that come to the track from other tracks??? I don't think we appreciate our local every week drivers enough. I am there every week cheering on our drivers to show that i appreciate them racing and i take the time to go in the pits and talk to the drivers and tell them how good a job they did. i may not get to everyone but i do try. Just please make sure to tell the regular drivers we appreciate them..
KT

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew where those 4 cars were from and I knew where they finished.

I was just pointing out that it is easier to draw RWD pure stocks then it is FWD pures. I know there are more tracks that run a RWD type pure stock. I also know that SMS will have a harder time drawing cars from other tracks.

Also I see that the blue #28 car is for sale.

www.myspace.com/ktfor3
Big Ed

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who doesn't appreciate our local drivers, I certainly hope you are NOT insinuating that I don't, cause those are fighting words right there!!!! It is MY JOB to support, and promote ALL drivers at our tracks, whether they are there every single week, or just once!!! I take it as quite the insult from you fiestyredhead269 to make an accusation that you feel our "regular" drivers are not appreciated enough. Sean and I make SURE we know every drivers name, and where they come from, and some sponsors, and share anything we may learn to the crowd. Your statement couldn't be farther from the truth!!!!

The Pure Stock class is in it's 3RD year now, it wasn't just started this year.

IMPROVE - MAKE BETTER

That is my definition. As far as I know, all 4 of those Gentlemen were found to be legal. What's illegal? Instead of getting on here and complaining about getting beat, and throwing stones. Why not go and learn?? Those cars don't cost any more to build than what sits in our pit area on a weekly basis. Don't believe me?? THEN GO ASK THEM!!!!! I have spoken to every one of them, and they are MORE than happy to converse, teach, assist, anything along those lines. They have experience because this class has been present on the East side for almost 10 years now!! We're in our 3rd year. Here comes drivers with more time in this division, successful drivers, and instead of trying to learn, and IMPROVE, we cast suspicion about them. And again, tell me who doesn't appreciate ANY of the drivers that support our tracks?? Who?? It makes me upset to read such things. And from two people that aren't even drivers, that I know of. Monzilla80 may have driven once or twice to my knowledge, but I know the redhead hasn't, and you get on here and make false accusations, and stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred, not for ONE good reason.

I will defend those driver that come and compete at our track whether they run EVERY week, or every now and then, They are ALL OUR drivers!!! And shame on you for trying to ailenate them, and say that they are not.

What gives YOU the right to determine who should be appreciated, and who shouldn't???
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed.. Monzilla80 is Mike Higbee.. I'm pretty sure he has driven every night for 2 years.
Big Ed

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lansingsportsrage.com"]Ed.. Monzilla80 is Mike Higbee.. I'm pretty sure he has driven every night for 2 years.[/quote]

Well I apologize to him for not knowing who he was. Never see a name on a post, so it's pretty hard to tell.

I thought it was someone else, my bad GUESS. But that is all we can do when someone doesn't put their name to a post.

Ed
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed.. I hear ya, I was just letting ya know.

Also when they said "Pure Stock Class is new for 2008", that is what it says on the Spartan website.

http://spartanspeedway.com/Info/rules2008/2008Rules16.php

Notice # 1: The Pure Stock division is new for the 2008 season. It was added in an attempt to provide a more affordable option to racing. Due to the many makes and models available for use, restrictions and minor changes may need to take place during the season as we learn more about this new division.

They are repeating what has been posted by the official source.. I realize the offical source is wrong, but other folks might not.
Dirt63

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Big Ed. The track does a fine job of recognizing its drivers! As for the drivers that came over from another track... They aren't guests. They aren't cheaters. They are racers. People competing to be number one. The track would not be there without them. A traveling racer is someone who loves the sport and they come here to have fun. They aren't trying to cause trouble. They adjust their cars for the rules and give it their all. If only we could get more drivers who are willing to travel to Spartan. I think that it was exciting when we had so many cars that there was a chance you may not be able to make the race, or that we may run out of time to run the last race because there were 2 or 3 B mains. We should welcome every Driver to the track like it's where they are suppose to race.

Joe
monzilla80

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for supporting us. I do appreciate it. Very much. Now if you pay attention, I race the green truck. 999 Pure Stock. The one with the stock V6 pulling 20 inches of vacuum. The one they will not ever let have a V8 because its not stock. (thats a loose term in this class) The one that was beat up all last year. The one that was rolled over on its roof. The one who shows up every week busting my ass to prove that the average guy sitting in the stands can go out and build a vehicle and have fun racing. No racing experience. No long line of families to teach me. Ive raced for a little more than a year total. Like most other guys in the class who are beginners. Once again a guy who went from sitting in the stands to racing on the track.

Now if one more person complains about my body made from furnace duct. It was cheap. Affordable. $130 for the entire thing. Plus $50 for a new cab. I cant get a roller ranger for less than $300.

If these guys from the east side are that great (I know they are smart, great drivers and have alot of money to spend, im not being sarcastic) why dont they move up to street stocks or sportsman? Why use that money and knowledge to come to a small track with drivers that have little experience and makes us look like fools? Why not be challenged a little more and move up a class. Take that knowledge and IMPROVE themselves.

I have read rules from several tracks that limit Pure Stock drivers to 3 years experience. Then you must move up. I know that is not what we do. But you are never going to get new local drivers to participate if the class gets dominated by big dollar and very experienced teams and drivers. All you are doing is pushing new people away. Not only are we frustrated and embarrassed, it doesnt help the pride or the attitude in the pits.

These guys are good. Very good. There is a reason that AC and Dixie have a large number of cars every week. Our drivers dont go there. So I assume its a bunch of local drivers from that area. I would feel more privledged to have the owners, managment or drivers from those tracks tell us what we need to do to increase our car count of local drivers VS. having the drivers just come here and walk all over us to increase our car count. I think that would IMPROVE = MAKE BETTER the track as a whole.

Once again. My opinion. Im just a single driver in a nobody class at a local track. If you step back and think. We are the guys who start racing and continue to come to that local track for years. Take us all away and you have a poor race with no local support.

Mike Higbee

monzilla80@yahoo.com

myspace.com/PalangN2
Dirt63

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But you are never going to get new local drivers to participate if the class gets dominated by big dollar and very experienced teams and drivers. All you are doing is pushing new people away.

When I got involved in the ponies in 2003 a fast time was mid 17s we did everything we could to get our car low 18s. Now the fastest time in the ponies is a 16.39! Most of the fastest cars are only getting to 16.7 maybe a 16.6. My fastest time is now a 17.1 and I got that time last year during the first feature of the season in a completely stock shadow. The only thing that was ever changed on it was setup.

The only way I was able to get my car faster was to learn from the faster drivers. I do not put hardly any money into my cars. I realize that you drive the only truck but the way your tires need to be set up and weight distribution is huge on how fast you are going to make it around the track. If there is a faster car ask them to look at your car and tell you if there is something you can change to make the car handle better. Or anything at that. The pure stock class is going to get fast. But that's not going to turn away drivers or people who are thinking about building one. The ponies have a ton of rookies this year. They are all doing a great job too because other Pony drivers are willing to help them get their cars going @ the track.

Joe
Dirt63

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way our rules have changed every year since i started trying to make the field more competitive. I'm sure the Pures will change as well.
Big Ed

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your plight Mike, what makes you think that you are a minority here?? What makes you think that these guys have lots of money?? What makes you think that they are any better off than you are?? Just because they have better resources, and experience (from the class existing longer in their backyard as opposed to yours)?? Have you ever even attempted to talk to any of them??

Most of these guys are young, very young. I know of two of them that are trying to move up. But it is pretty expensive to do that, isn't it?? So what, if your a good driver, and have won a race or two, you shouldn't be allowed to compete?? C'mon Mike, how fair is that, and who has the right to judge. With YOUR thinking, Dane Long should NEVER be allowed to race in the Sportsman class, the Drake's should all be driving Sportsman, and Larry Wallace, Bud Perry, Ron Parish should never be allowed in a Mod. You can't dictate what class any driver should be able to run. It isn't just about talent these days, it's also about affordability, you should understand that one better than anyone. These guys aren't coming over to Spartan in an attempt to "walk all over you", they are coming over to compete, have some fun, and oh yeah, just like any other racer in the world, WIN. What is wrong with that??

I applaud what you are doing Mike, and I have HUGE respect for your efforts, and your commitment. Every single track in the nation needs more guys like you. Thing is, we need more just like the ones you are complaining about. How are you going to ever improve if you don't know what your competition is capable of?? What your doing in that truck is a very, very hard thing to do. There are so many other type of vehicles that would be much easier to deal with, and be able to make it go faster. It is not the fault of ANY of your competition that you have chosen this route.

Let me ask you this. Do you enjoy racing at Spartan?? Well guess what, so do they. Why is ok for you, but not for them?? Because they beat you?? Or because you live closer to the track?? Mike, please, I urge you to go and talk with them. You will find that they do NOT have a lot of money, and are humbled by others just as you are, and will be more than willing to try and help you make your Pure stock faster, and even help you find out how to, and how much it cost, to build one like theirs. I don't know about you, but you can't ask for more than that from your competition.

And Mike, I do pay attention, very well I might add. I know who you are, and what you drive, and what you've done. What I didn't know was that Monzilla80 = Mike Higbee, and I apologize for that.

The bottom line is, we need ALL OF YOU!!! Which is why I appreciate EVERY SINGLE DRIVER ON THE TRACK!!!!!!!
monzilla80

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know setup is huge. My truck is almost .500 faster on a consistant basis than last year. I did a ton of research this winter. My front end geometry is totally different than the cars. I know I built the wrong vehicle for the wrong track to be competitive. My mistake. But I was an idiot sitting in the stands thinking "Hey! I can do that too". I didnt work out quite the way I planned.

Something is keeping new drivers from building RWD or even FWD Pure Stock cars and coming to our track. There has to be more people sitting in the stands like I was 2 years ago. People who want to race and think they can do it too. What is holding them back? Gas prices? Job loss? Lack of car available? I dont know. Thats not my job. That higher up on the ladder to decide. Thats why they get paid the big $$$. I just get paid to show up and try my hardest to finish.

So im thinking less focus on making car count and more focus on making the track attractive to fans who might become future drivers. And then years later the cycle starts all over again. New fans. New drivers. Maybe incentives? More interaction? Its time to get out of the stands and in the drivers seat.
monzilla80

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to get in the subject of who has more money. Whether is be sponsors, friends, family or personal income. Speed costs money. Some teams can afford to go alot faster. Parts, resources, time, labor. All those things cost money. Even the free things take time away from jobs in which some use to make money. You can tell when one team has the money or resources that others dont. A blind fan could tell you that.

Now racing is FUN. Not everyone is here to WIN. Many people want to try and accomplish goals. Personal mountians to climb. Have a family activity to participate in. Keep themselves busy. Maybe just plain waist time on friday night. I think too much of the spotlight is put on WINNERS. Its the nature of the sport. Maybe thats why I never participated in it. Im not a competetive person. Plenty of other motorsports are based on the performance of you and your machine. I have participated in those. They were fun. Getting lapped by experienced drivers who dropped by from a track 80 miles away isnt fun. Im sure they had fun. And they won. Congrats. You guys earned it. I didnt. When its not fun people stop doing it. You have lost countless drivers because of that. I personally know few. Its a bad thing that happens. Not anyones fault. Just politics.

We arent a track that forces drivers to do anything. I simply put many other tracks have rules written that way to keep the Pure Stock or any low budget or beginer classes attractive to new drivers. Maybe another idea to get new drivers to the track. Seems to work for others organizations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: