Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

class revamp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis ONeil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, it seems that older car builders like you and others I know have fallen out of favor as far as Honda's are concerned!

Daytona Pony said,
Quote:
Honda's really are very capable cars and can do very very well in a class like ours..... stock that is. If you get someone like the Garlands, Jimmy, Myself, or Edson to actually "build" a Honda they would be the new Neons and everyone would have to have one or bitch they can't keep up

"A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.............WORKS BETTER WHEN OPEN"
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar93 wrote:
Jim Leasure wrote:
Maurice I think you are the perfect fit to do so. You have the knowledge and shop, so?

Yes, I have the capability, shop, and knowledge. However, I do not have the desire to build a Honda, Probe, or 16 valve GM car.

If I built something that was currently not allowed, it would be a Stratus with a 2.4, or a PT Cruiser with the same engine. Or any number of Mitsubishi cars.

You can find cheap Dodge Stratus' but you can't find cheap PT Cruisers.

-Maurice

p.s. Don't tell anyone I'm racing a 1 cylinder Honda engine. Smile

1st and only automatic pony in the 15's
Team Never Dead Racing Team Beacon
If you are not having fun while racing, Adjustments are definitely needed !!!!!
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:
todd metz sr. wrote:
If you think allowing Honda's in the pony class will keep it from becoming a Neon class, you are correct. Neons will be some of the slower cars in the field. Honda's are THE easiest cars to make super fast with stock factory parts. A 150 hp or more is very easy and common from these motors. Suspenision parts are to be found everywhere for them. In a very short time it would be the Honda pony class.

Couldn't exhaust restrictions be used on the Honda to slow it down like it is on the Neon ?

No I do not think exhaust restrictions are the answer.

We have a neon on the track this year that is running a gutted converter with a leaking exhaust system. What is there to make me believe that a Honda would be teched any better??????????

The Neon we are talking about is of no threat to me but it has finished ahead of other cars and beat them out of some points and money.

Most people that are for allowing Honda's just want to buy one from someone that has already made them fast, not build one.....
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh ideas start here:
JRJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 possibile thing you could do is, keep the current cars as is (no DOHC), offer a bounty for a non neon to win. Say like an extra $25.00, this may help bring other cars in from other tracks.
bruiser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 2 pony classes if possible. One for the sohc cars that are legal now, and then one for the exotics/dohc/hondas and what not's? If they are going to drop the sportsman class then this gives ya 5 classes again. BUT, people need to know early, and there needs to be a commitment from the guys who want to build/buy dohc/exotic/hondas or what not cars.
cnaracer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

If you have a A and B class.. i would let the A run the Hoosiers!!! Let the B have the same rules.. and the A class let them have DOHC, open exhaust and like i said run on the hoosiers... If you choose to be in the A class you have to stay there...Vice versa..UNLESS someone is totally dominating in the B class, make them move up to the A class... keep it seperate.. not flopping back and forth..

Last edited by cnaracer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
O'NeilsOddOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never turned a lap at Spartan but I'd really like to try it next year; maybe not a full year but for sure to see what it's all about.

Some things to think about:

Allow the DOHC American made models into the class but make them weigh more and have a more restricted exhaust. Maybe something like Auto City's rule on motors and weight.

Allow safety wheels but make sure that they don't stick out too far past the fenders. I know the stock offset isn't available but you can get pretty close. I'm not sure but I thought I heard that the safety wheels weren't legal on Friday nights?

Ditch qualifying and go to drawing a pill Laughing I'd be able to make Friday nights if the Ponys didn't qualify...I know I'm being selfish on this one but possibly something to think about?

-JT
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT - I'm with you, I'd like to see a pill draw. But, if they are going to have A & B mains, then you need qualifying to separate the groups.

Misty or Todd.. how long did your Hoosier Tires last ? Seems to me that a 790 tire is around $115.. which is roughly twice as expensive as a Sumi.. but if they last twice as long, then I'd be all for it.
todd metz sr.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:

Misty or Todd.. how long did your Hoosier Tires last ? Seems to me that a 790 tire is around $115.. which is roughly twice as expensive as a Sumi.. but if they last twice as long, then I'd be all for it.

They were overpriced by Rabbers at $92.00 this past year. Not sure where you got the $100+ price from.......

I was told they were around $85.00 at Galesburg this year, I did not price them there, that is what one of their workers told me they were.

A new Sumo costs $53 from tire rack, around $10 for shiping, $20 for shaving ( not everyone shaves them but I feel it is money well spent if you have a fast car ) if you heet treat them it is another $15, ( again not everyone does but I personally feel it is money well spent/invested for longevity ) .

That adds up to at least $63 to my prefered longer lasting tire at $98.

The Hoosier 790's need nothing to go racing on. No shaving or anything. $92.00 each.........

My Hoosier 790's have over 600 very fast hard laps on them and are still not even half worn out.

I would have used up at least 2 sets of the heet treated and shaved sumo's and at least 3 sets of the non shaven or treated ones.

2 to 3 times more laps with a lot left in them for very little more to less than a fully prepped sumo.....a very easy decision for me.....

I personally believe the 790's will last an entire season UNLESS they are cut down or punctured.

Everyone that complain's about the cost of the 790's have NOT bought any and raced on them to see how long they last and how consistant they are week after week.

The 790's ARE cheeper in the long run BY FAR.

The track could make some extra money by carrying them for sell too. ( HINT, HINT JIM ).

Have them available for anyone that wants to buy some at the track.

They would help to even out a faster class of 4 cylinder cars and would be as easy to tech as any of the other race tires being used at all of the tracks around.

Personally, I like the A and B thought of 4 cylinder racing at Spartan.

We ( Spartan racers ) are some of the best 4 cylinder race cars around. No matter where most of the Spartan Pony cars go, they ARE usually up front at feature time.

I have heard several people from other tracks that have come to Spartan to watch or race comment on the very high level of competition in this class.

Why not allow a steppingstone class of 4 cylinder cars to go faster?

Some of us ( me included ) can NOT afford to race V-8 cars. Just do not have a bank roll that big to devote to racing or we would.

No matter what the rules are/will be, there will be a dominate model or 2.
That is just fact.

Look at EVERY other class.........GM V-8 motors.

They are the cheapest and have the most parts available. Just facts.

The Hoosier 790 tire is by far the best tire for the money for any 4 cylinder class running on pavement. Want to help keep the 4 cylinder classes affordable? Let them on the 790's.

Just my personal thoughts and opinion's on this class and tires.

I will post more later.

Todd Sr.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the $115 price from the 970 prices at Owosso, but I knew those were the bigger tires, hence the around $115 price.. at $90 or so.. that's even better.

I had run laps on the Hoosier last year at Springport and was amazed how good they felt.. with a safety tire and a good hub I think the Hoosier tire is probably safer then a regular tire.

I do think some guys still run take offs, so they are probably paying $0 for tires, so jumping up to $90 a tire will probably be a shock, but then again, if they are running take offs, then they would probably also run hand me down Hoosiers.. a thought anyhow.
Marq Eaton #12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that we need to open the rules up.

i think if we made the rules the same as owosso and auto city, we would get alot more cars.

allow 195 tires, dohc american, ajustible wear end ( for safety reasons) safety rim on the right front.

now you have to remeber that if we race on 790s you have to buy rims too.
all together your going to have about 800 dollar in rims and tires just to get started.
thats alot of money to come up with for a pony stock.

just my 2 cents
cnaracer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

my point is..LET the "A" cars run on the hoosiers.. obviously you dont have to.. but allow it.. it is a safer tire..and they last a lot longer!!! so it will end up saving you money in the long run..it is just the initial buying them..ya know.. but anyone that has ran on them will tell you they are a better tire..and will save money in the long run...
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the safety rims for the hoosier wider then the ones for the street tires ?
bigboiii22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allowing the hoosiers in the pony stocks would be a mistake in my opinion. First of all the cost 800.00 with the rims is way too expensive for a economy class most people in this class dont have that kind of money. I know they last longer , but my concern is cutting them on a tight little track like spartan they stick out way too far . we cut 6 tires at spartan last year that would be another 600.00 all to win 100.00 I know there is 4 people who have them and want to allow them ,but we really need to look at cost for all the drivers. As far as A and B divisons I think thats a great idea , it will allow some slower cars a chance to win in the B divison that would never have a chance like it is now. Qualify 16.99 or better your in A 17.00 or slower your in B. That would give us 10 -12 in each divison roughly . For the people who have the hoosiers already , when you bought them for mid-michigan or springport the payout was 400.00 to win with a couple races for 750.00 on fridays .That is not the case here we need to keep the expense down in this class so new drivers can afford it. We plan on having 2 cars in the A divison that would be 1600.00 just on tires and rims to win 100 bucks . NO WAY . just me opinion L.Jarecki
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: