Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Tires for 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfastwhitey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junk 970s? Are you guys using the right soak?
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Mike lets not switch just because its popular. lets get an american racer back like we used to have if anything. Of the guys at Spartan that want to go to the 970 how many actuallt traveled away from the track and went to a track that regualary runs the 970???

How many guys from Spartan travel (other than Springport) at all?????
How many guys always say they will travel????
How many guys are fast when they leave Spartan and Springport????

Dan Logan has raced at Owosso, Angola, Spartan, Springport
Jason Parish raced at Owosso, Auto City, Spartan , Springport
Ron Parish raced at Owosso,Spartan, Springport
Oz has also raced at Owosso, Auto City, Spartan, Springport
John Mamula raced at Auto City, Spartan, Springport, Kalamazoo, and then the Usa Modified shows.

Other than that who else has traveled?
Who all has went to the Zoo??
Do you guys run the same tires at Sprinport and at Spartan anyways?
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin,
We had 2 nights on my tires at Owosso and they told us we were going to have to buy some right sides to keep up and I said no way everyone talks how great these are and they told me I'd see. Well they were right.
This was coming from Such names as Luckhurst and Matheson. i think that they might know more about whats goin on with tires than most. It is no different then what we have goin on right now with a right rear only being good for 2-3 nights. Saturday i will have to buy right sides to at least qualify. We go to WIN not to just make the show and qualify. So what exactly is the difference if you still have to buy right sides after 2 nights to keep up??

Plus the 970 cost more than the American Racer $33.00 more a set
governor72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: tire debate Reply with quote

Arron,

Had we been on the same tire as the other guys @ Owosso we would have been fine.

But I'll bet we were not, as ours had not had chemical treatments, heck mine were last years Super Shoe tires, which were used then.

I have asked some of the guy's who run USA & Kalamazoo if they have seen any difference in the 970 this year and the answer was NO!!!!!!!!

Ask Nyle about the 970, as he has been running Kalamazoo some.

Gov
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that makes me leary of the 970 is it's reputed ability to improve with chemical treatments.

I (on several occations) pulled out onto the track behind cars with gooped up black-mark leaving MMA tires. Not lappers, but fast guys. And on THAT tire, I could still beat them. The old MMA tire is the best tire I know of, and soaking doesn't seem to make it much faster.

I'm concerned that switching to the 970 would cause soaking issues. And no-one wants an impound rule.

So if we actually can get the old MMA coumpound tire, and American Racer doesnt screw us again, then that is the tire we need to be on.

Mike
wayfastwhitey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Owosso Mike ran 5th in the 12x on opening night with a set of 970s that we FOUND in my dad's garage. I have no idea how old they were, but I know they were not in good shape, even after I wiped most of the water out from inside them. We finished the car at around 4pm Saturday, and we've also made some really big improvements to the car since then, so I'd bet it would be a lot more competitive than it was that night. I'm not sure if I threw them tires away or not.

Each track is different on tires, it's tough to say that Owosso would yeild the same results as Spartan. (I don't deny that those guys know what's going on, they are all good racers) We're going to Angola on 8/31 we'll report back then.

If the 970s are worse than they used to be that's too bad, it was a great tire. The old I-CAR tire was great too.

1 thing is for sure, if we could afford a set of 970s right now, we wouldn't be racing at Springport for $270to win, I love the track, but it's not worth it.

BTW if both tires only last 2-3 nights, then why is the AR still the better tire, especially if its faster? If all these tracks were on the same tire it sure would be nice.
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting 4-6 nights out of the old MMA tire at Owosso (Which is hard on tires). I got in the routine of buying 2 tires every other week whether I needed them or not. That means start money payed for all my tires.

Anything less is unacceptable IMO. So regardless of what tire we use, those are my expectations.

Mike
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main argument is this.

This is not the tire I voted for. Had I known that this is what they were bringing my hand would not have been up. Plain and simple, it's not the tire we were promised. My vote was for the 970........or.......the MMA tire. Not this thing. I had a tire that lasted 1 full night at Springport. Full meaning a couple of hot lap sessions, Qualifying, Heat, Feature (25laps), by the end of the night that tire was bald! Soon after that I quit running Saturdays.

Aron,

I was at Kzoo for the first two weeks. Not to mention the practice before hand. I bought tires at practice, 2 actually. I'm saving them because even with those full nights on them I'll run them later. They look better after 3 nights than my AM racers do after one any where.

So if it's between the 970 and this pile of 704 I'm on now..... 970 get's my vote! There is a part of me that wants the 970 out of spite.

Last edited by Lack o Diesel on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want my opinion on what American Racer should do... I think they should give us the tire that we all wanted (The one they SAID this was going to be).

And they should give us full credit on all these POS tires that they screwed us on.

But there's a fat chance of that ever happening.

Mike
ron1r31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: don't like them don't run them Reply with quote

mike and perry as i see it you guys want to run the 970s is that right well go ahead and run them. jim change the tire rule so any one that wants can run the 970s. i hope you do as i thinks most every other car will be on the amracers. i know i will see you later
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

We are allowed to run the Hoosiers right now. But why would I run a tire that is 3 tenths slower. I'm a racer and I said from the get go I'll run whatever tire Spartan has. But I voted just like everyone else for a tire that we didn't get. But wait it's supposed to be the tire we had, that's what we were told. Bull! So I guess my issue is more with the deception. I was fine with the MMA tire, the real one. So if the popular vote is for AM racers, then my vote is for that tire, not this one.
Perry
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack o Diesel wrote:
But I voted just like everyone else for a tire that we didn't get. But wait it's supposed to be the tire we had, that's what we were told. Bull! So I guess my issue is more with the deception. Perry

That's what I'm most upset about too. Granted- I didn't go vote...But I didn't go vote because I knew everyone was voting the way I would have voted.

The deception.... We voted for the MMA tire, and we got ripped off.

Ron-
I'm not saying I do or don't want the 970. I'm just saying that I don't want THIS tire.

The MMA American Racer was the best(most cost effective) tire I've ever run on in my opinion.

Mike
pasto68

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone really belive mccreey has the ability to exactly copy the tire compound from year to year. i remember the first year we changed from the imca tire to a different mccreey tire. by mid year, racers were going around and looking for the earlier serial numbered tire because they were better. the newer tires blistered and didnt last. the mma tire was not as fast as the hoosier. if these tires are the same as the mma tire, why are they faster?

steve "pops" pastorino
modfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tire now is NOT the same as the MMA tire That we wanted YES I understand. The problem with switching tires is that they had to make us new tires wich meant that the rubber DID NOT have time to cure and then that makes them blister. That is why some said LEAVE IT ALONE that actuallly knew what was going to happen when we got a new tire. WE are NEVER going to copy the MMA tire that everyone wanted if you would have listned we can't get that exact tire because they were told they had to remove some of the additives due to the EPA. I know I am going to get no where hear but I what I want is a 10" slick but I never bring that up because I know I couldn't afford it. We were offered the 8" slick and that was voted down. AS the lowest budgeted modified team out there I say lets just race.How many tires has everyone actually bought?? The 970 is inevitable that it will be at Spartan next season.
Hoosier is not the answer but they have bought the market and now it leaves no logical choice but to switch for all the drivers that travel SO MUCH so they don't have to buy different tires at different tracks because I know Spartan produces a lot of drivers who are travelers.
Just my 2 cents

Aaron Stenger- Ck Racing & Fabrication
517-581-5781
ckfabricator@yahoo.com
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,

No offense, but if guys could use their tires anywhere they might go try somewhere else. But now just the prospect of a different race track means 4 more wheels, and at least 4 more tires. So I'm going to make my mind up after a night at Spartan. Let's see let's go run Auto City. I have to go dismount the tires I have mounted, buy Hoosiers and get them mounted. Takes more time on a Saturday, and more money. If the other tracks were on the same tire then it would be fine.

As for making a tire just like it, I'm sure they could get closer than they did.

Did I hear 10" slicks, let's do it. The 8" slick was fine with me. We were told we could get the old tire so that is why we voted for it. I personally wanted to stick with the Street Stock Tire. You were sitting three chairs from me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: