Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Tires for 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schinde

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will really be good is when we get to the point of the "4 minute tire change" in the mods.

There was a certain style Trelleborg actually designed for that purpose.

The "4 minute tire change" was very important back in the day.

And, I'm thinking a mod would be a blast to drive on a set of them.

have a good day,

schinde
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say i'm really liking the hoosier 970 right now. it might not have quite as much grip as the 704, but they are close. they give the car a much more balanced feeling, they are MUCH more consistant from lap to lap, and lets face it, the 970 looks more like a race tire. the 704 reminds me of a tractor tire. plus the other advantage is every single other track around, plus the usa modified series runs them. and they last longer. for me, 704 = not impressed 970 = impressed!
racerchick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends all run the American Racer at the MMA tracks, they all have mixed feelings up here. Why not work with how gives you the best service.Sometimes you have to pay more for the quality of service. I know They get there tires from the same guy that Merritt and Mt Pleasant do and I don't know of many tire sales people that will drop off tires to your shop while they are out delivering to other tracks. They are a great group of guys. I think I know why the dirt guys call the Asphalt guys Tar BABIES. lol
Mrs. T2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Racerchick, but I think we can do without the
Quote:
Tar BABIES
stuff. No need to come on here and start calling people names for whatever reason.

www.myspace.com/prplecindy
racerchick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mrs T2

Not actually calling anyone names if you had noticed I was laughing. Thats just what Pavement drivers are called by the DIRT DOBBERS.
Sorry to offend.
Mrs. T2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you were laughing, but you are on a pavement tracks site. Was kinda sorta laughing with ya the first time, but not the second.

Apology accepted Smile

www.myspace.com/prplecindy
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how true it is but i have heard that hoosier will give the track money to run their tire. i don't know how you would say that one has "better service" than the other. either way you pretty much get the same thing, somebody who dismounts and mounts tires. i have noticed that things change as time passes, but right now, pretty much every track in the area right now is on hoosiers. don't you think that if spartan ran hoosiers that it would help draw cars from other tracks? sure you can run either tire right now, but people aren't gonna wanna come to spartan with their 970's if they know that they aren't going to be competitive with the 704's. those guys from mrtw are a great group of guys and they have been with spartan for a long time, but i think it would be in the tracks best interest to go with the hoosier tire
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and on the dirt/asphalt thing, dirt is what the parking lot is for!!!! HAHAHA. j/k
ron1r31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

hey rock if you want to run that piece of s--- tire then run it. but at this time i think the year is almost over. to start off jim change it so if you wanted to run your 970 you could. as for me i don't like the price 115 a tire at some of the track an other 125. i think i'll just go ride my bike and to hell with all tire crap.
ron1r31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

hey rock if you want to run that piece of s--- tire then run it. but at this time i think the year is almost over. to start off jim change it so if you wanted to run your 970 you could. as for me i don't like the price 115 a tire at some of the track an other 125. i think i'll just go ride my bike and to hell with all tire crap.
schinde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

Think about that Trelleborg.

Then, think about the mod's running on it.

That would cure all tire ills, very, very quickly.

(And yes, stagger could be achieved with them).

have a good day,

schinde
governor72

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: 970 Reply with quote

2 970's at Kalamazoo last Saturday cost me 206.00 tax & mounting incl.

The 970 is a great tire and is ran on tracks from flat 1/4's, to tracks like Winchester.

This would be a positive move.

Gov
MaddMike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in a long lasting tire that saves money than I am in running a tire because "that's what the other tracks run on".

I have yet to be convinced that the 970 will last longer or repeat better than other brands.

What good is it going to do to be able to use the same tire at a different track if you still have to buy new tires to be fast there.

And if you run a 970 at Spartan.... Are you going to run the same stagger when you go to Owosso? So you'll still have to buy more tires to race a different track.

Mike
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddMike wrote:
I'm more interested in a long lasting tire that saves money than I am in running a tire because "that's what the other tracks run on".

Goodyear G-24 tire with the A400 compound.

Do you suppose McCreary made the 2008 704 tire faster so that nobody would want to run their Hoosier 970's?

If the 704 had a harder compound and the 970 was not allowed, then everybody would probably be happy except for those who still want to run the same tire as all the other tracks.

Likewise, if only the 970 were allowed, most teams would be happy. A few would still want a tire that lasted longer.

I say, let's recreate the Formula One Super Stock L60/15 tire for the Mods and Sportsman and the H70/15 for the Pure Stocks.

-Maurice
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 970 is very repeatable. our first week at angola i qualified at a 15.034 and my best lap in the feature and 15.209. the next week was warmer and qualified at a 15.043 and my best lap was a 14.957 in the feature. they felt exactly the same from the first week to the second, and they were just as fast. after 2 weeks on the right rear, it looks like is still has 2 or 3 nights left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: