Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Tires for 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
modfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say yes to the 10" Slick, thier already playing the tire game so give us a reason to have to buy this many tires and boy would they be fast. Oh I forgot they wouldn't want the mods faster than the Supers.LMAO

I know what everyone is saying, It shows in my cars performance some weeks when I can't buy a tire or 2 but I guess I am fighting for the American racer because I know how good of tire service we get compared to other tracks in the state. Once we lose Wayne and Jeff it will be different and then others will know what I mean. We have always had seperate tires for different tracks anyways but I guess we were the only teams that did that.

BTW Any one looking for a good mod let me know I have one for sale. lol
I will let the Homies continue on this conversation I have said my peace.

Aaron Stenger- Ck Racing & Fabrication
517-581-5781
ckfabricator@yahoo.com
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys bump your heads? The day mods go to a 10" slick is the day I'm all done racing them.

I can't afford the motor to turn a 10" slick to it's potential...

I can't afford to tear up my car every week either because we turn into the next SLM class that has so much tire that you gotta crash to pass.

Have you guys been watching the SLM races? They're all so hooked up that all they can do is crash each other.

Mike
MaddMike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the EPA had something to do with the tire changing... Then American Racer could solve the problem simply by not making them D.O.T. legal.

Why do our racing tires have to be D.O.T. legal?

Mike
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last fall, I brought up a discussion about an Econo Mod class and the trick of the class would be a tire that would last 6-8 races on the right side and most of the season on the left side. It was a Goodyear tire that was quite hard, but lasted a long time.

The good part about it is it would have limited the amount of horsepower you could put to the ground. Obviously, it wouldn't stick very well in the corners, but that's the trade off. You would have to slow down accordingly.

I imagine a tire like that would put the Modifieds at Spartan in the 13.90 - 14.30 range for lap times. There would probably be more separation between the fast qualifier and the 10th fastest, unlike now where the top ten are within a tenth of each other. The fast guys would be those who are good with setups and who can drive well. There would be less emphasis on motors.

Costs would go way down when someone good comes in with a cheap motor and does well.

How would you guys feel about a tire like that? Maybe McCreary can conjure up something equivalent.

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddMike wrote:
Why do our racing tires have to be D.O.T. legal?

So you can run them on the street. Why else? Cool

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an exact copy of the old MMA tire were brought back, then the Hoosier 970 would have to be outlawed, because it would then be the preferred tire. Otherwise, nobody would want to run the MMA tire. They would put on the Hoosier because it would probably be a touch faster. It would be a waste of McCreary and Wayne's efforts to redevelop an exact copy of the old MMA tire.

The current 704 tire, being faster than the 970, is keeping anybody from wanting to run the 970 and also keeping any casual travelers from wanting to come and race.

So, is this discussion all just a ploy to eliminate the American Racer altogether and to just go with the 970?

-Maurice
pasto68

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice! what's the difference if you ban the 970 or make a faster 704? the results are the same. it's too expensive for me to use two different tires. the 3 704's i bought at the begining of the year lasted less than 200 laps. i like your idea of a tire that lasts 6-8 nights. i look around my garage and i see 4 good mma tires, and, 3 good sportsmen tires. that's $700.00 dollars. if i just raced at springport and spartan. if you want to use mccreey tires, pick one and use it for 5-10 years, like the 970. if i had that $700.00 back i could most certainly be able to race more nights and maybe even have another car running. promoters need to help the racers, not the tire guy.

steve "pops" pastorino
MaddMike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this discussion to try and get everyone together in the hopes of finding what will be the best and most cost effective tire option for 2009 and beyond.

I don't care if Uniroyal is what it ends up being, and I don't care who cn travel and bring what.

I'm interested in saving expenses in an effort to keep car counts up.

If they make an exact duplicate of the old MMA tire, that would be great. If that makes it so the 970 can't be run there, that's fine by me...I'd be happy to donate my best takeoffs for anyone wanting to try the track out. A limited inventory of takeoffs could be kept somewhere at the track. Wayne would be glad to mount up a set for $20 or whatever he needs to charge. With the old MMA tire, takeoffs are still competitive.

Mike
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 5 of the Goodyear G-24 tires sitting in my shop if someone would like to mount them up and test them during hotlaps this Friday at Spartan and Saturday at Springport.

They are about 5 years old but have no wear showing on them. It would be a good cheap test to see how something harder and long lasting would work on a Modified.

-Maurice
MaddMike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the promoters fault. They were led to believe that this years tire was the same as the MMA tire....just like the rest of us.

Mike
wayfastwhitey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar93 wrote:
Last fall, I brought up a discussion about an Econo Mod class and the trick of the class would be a tire that would last 6-8 races on the right side and most of the season on the left side. It was a Goodyear tire that was quite hard, but lasted a long time.
-Maurice

Some of us (I'm looking at you gov, I know you're reading this) have been around modifieds long enough to remember that the first tire to deviate from the IMCA tire was a stone hard goodyear. It looked like a tractor tire, and 100laps barely knocked the tits off it. All the racers whined about it because it was slower, the next year we ended up with a goodyear at Owosso that was so soft it only lasted 1-2nights, especially if you didn't follow a break in procedure. Then most of the racers left to go to AC and get their way there. After a little bit of that, Goodyear was gone.

AMS and USA both tried this tire, and USA had some trouble with supplying it, not sure if AMS is still on this compound or not.

Moral of the story is that if you put these guys on a super hard tire, there will be SOOO much crying about tires that they'll want this tire back. Even if that old Goodyear would have lasted all year on the left side of a mod. Then once you switch back to a faster tire, everyone would whine because their expensive 280cid engine is no good anymore.

Look at kzoo latemodels on the 970, everytime you mention how good a move it was, someone will say that now they need to spend $1500 on shocks to make thier chassis work, which I argue they were gonna spend either way to keep up with the jones's.

You'll never make everyone happy, especially if everyone is a racer.
MaddMike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why a racers vote is not always what should happen. Sometimes the promoter needs to have a meeting to take in all the info and then make the decision himself based on what is the right thing to do.

I wouldn't have a problem with the current tire if they were $50/ea... or if start money was $216....

But for me to race, start money has to cover my tires. Currently, start money only covers half the tires.

Fast time last friday was set again on 4 new tires. $432 on tires spent to try and win $460. That time wass 2 tenths faster than when I set fast time on just 2 new tires.

Mike
schinde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Trelleborg's.

(anyone know what I am talking about?)

have a good day,

schinde
MaddMike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid or pneumatic? Either way, count me in!

Mike
schinde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pneumatic.

At the time, they were "the tire", bar none. Absolutely bar none.

I actually got two per season free, so even a better deal!

have a good day,

schinde
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: