Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Rule Clarifications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Rule Clarifications Reply with quote

Safety wheels:

I would like to order a safety wheel that is legal according to our rules. Please give me a part number and manufacturer. Yogi gave me this a while back and I am too lazy to search for it. I want a safety rim that is "legal"' just to prove to myself that one is available. We have many cars with safety rims that don't appear to be legal and I want one that is, so if one is not available then we will have to adjust the rules to maintain parity with in the division.

Rule addition:

Under A and B features:

In the event that a driver in the B feature violates the .25 breakout rule for any two laps the scorer will automatically deduct two laps from their already completed laps. No yellow will be thrown and the driver may continue to race.
ken#8

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: safety rims Reply with quote

hey Jim until you get the rim straight how about not allowing safety rims until the rim gets here all must have the stock rims until further notice that would be fair for all ? and then when the rim is gotten that would be legal then allow them but not until then just my opinion Ken
JRJ

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the 2 wheels I just received aren't going to pose any problems
6" wide 3" offset. I ordered these per the rules and even talked to the guys making the rules, and was told then these would be correct. $162.00 for 2 wheels is steep and they don't make good paper weights.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR, Can you get one of those wheels dropped off to me? Also a stock wheel so I can do some measuring? Also please let me know where you got them, the part number, etc. The sooner the better.

Thanks
JRJ

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got them from diamond wheels 1-800-937-4407, can get one to you on wednesday, but I don't have a spare stock wheel right now.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everone that would like to get a safety wheel should wait until we have this ironed out, just to be sure you don't spend money on something that may not be acceptable.

Any one with a stock rim I can use for a couple of days?
abcggarza

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of them but they have junk tires on them. I can drop 1 off if you wanna take the tire off. Call me anytime, I live in Holt so I can be there in like 10 minutes (517)819-1578
Pony Stock #14
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I will call you tomorrow when we are at the track. We will be there a lot tomorrow putting lights up. Thanks
abcggarza

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I will be home all day. I am laid off this week, let me know if you need anything else or if you need help with something.
Pony Stock #14
ken#8

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim I also have extra stock rims I can bring it to you so nobody has to make a special trip Ken
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a collection of 5x100 14" wheels off our cars...

This is the safety wheel :

These are the other 5 wheels :

Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, Patrick is not measuring the offset correctly.

It appears that the wheel is laying on the floor with the tire sidewall toucing the floor. Then he is measuring from the fattest part of the sidewall to the mounting surface.

DO NOT MEASURE THIS WAY.

The sidewall of the tire is not included in the measurement of the offset or backspacing. The tire is not included at all in the measurement.

Ignore the above photos as they are deceiving. Some of the sidewalls are fatter than the others.

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a cross section of a wheel:

This shows how the wheel width, diameter, and backspace are measured. Sometimes, "offset" and "backspace" are used interchangeably, but the measurement we are using for the safety wheels is actually the backspace measurement. When the term offset is used, it really refers to the distance of the mounting flange in relation to the centerline of the wheel. Backspace is the distance of the mounting flange from the inner bead surface where the tire meets the wheel.

If the wheel is 6 inches wide and the backspace is 3 inches, this will put the mounting flange exactly at the centerline of the wheel width.

-Maurice
JRJ

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what you believe the measurement for the safety wheels should be? That is what the two wheels I order are, I'm dropping one off to Jim at lunch time.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRJ wrote:
Is that what you believe the measurement for the safety wheels should be? That is what the two wheels I order are, I'm dropping one off to Jim at lunch time.

The ultimate decision is up to Jim on the wheel rule at Spartan. Once he makes the decision, then I will look at it for Springport. We are trying to work together this year.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: