Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

TIRES
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: TIRES Reply with quote

I have heard from a few of our drivers that they are having trouble finding tires that meet the Pony Stock rules. We rely on driver input when tires are involved so if you agree, disagree or just have some info to share please do so on this forum, email me personally at spartanspeedway@gmail.com or call 517-244-1042.

I am not suggesting the 195 max width and minimum 70 series is hard to find. I have just been told they are so I am running the issue up the flag pole for additional info.
BDR1979

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the 790 hoosiers. They last longer
Marq Eaton #12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 70 series tire is getting hard to find a lot of tire companies are discontinuing them. You can find them with I high tread wear but the tires are super hard and don't give very good grip. Opening the rule up to a 65 series would give us more tires to look at. Now my personal opinion would be to go to a spec tire. Would make it a lot easier on everyone and everyone would be on a even playing field. I know some guy where buying up the last of the good 70 series tire and no one else could get them plus it a big guess game when looking for tires. How I know the track has a contract with Hoosier. Now Hoosier has the 790 as well as a 850 tire along with dot stamp tire. I think it would be much easier if the track would carries one if these tires so racers can get tires right at the track. I don't like having every racer on different tires. Jmo
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

I agree with Marq, a spec tire is the way to go. Recently Ive found it to be difficult to find tires that have good traction and the correct size. Also when sumitomo's were the tire to have there were teams that bought up several of the available tires and hoarded them for their own use. A spec tire would put everyone on a equal tire and stop hoarding . If a spec tire is decided on by Spartan, I think it should be a DOT tire and not a made for racing tire due to cost and a race tire shouldnt be used with stock bearings .
abcggarza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up tire rule to allow a 65 series tire would be great. Stock size for a Neon is 185/65R14 so anyone trying to just get into racing could buy a Neon, put their money into safety equipment and run on tires that come on the car if their budget didnt allow them $300-$400 for new tires. I think a spec tire wouldnt be a bad idea as long as they were DOT so that we could still travel without having to buy new tires to go somewhere else. IMHO Hoosiers should not be allowed!!! Springport tried it and didnt work for them, they are back on DOT tires this year.
Pony Stock #14
hartmanw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, opening up the series to allow a 65 series tire would help out more drivers than it would hurt and would allow for a more broad selection of tires to become available to drivers. Now a spec tire on the other hand, I believe would be impossible with DOT tires, just between this season and last, we have had to switch tires 3 times because the old ones were unavailable, I just don't believe that you could guarantee the supply of a DOT tire throughout the course of a season. The hoosier idea has been tossed around as well, but I believe that is not the way to go unless you wanted to change the class into some kind of pro-4.
bigblockink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

Did some research with my vendor there's really not much difference in availability basically with 185 70 14 you've got yokohama Avid S, Falken 828, General Altimax RT, & GT Radial Champiro. With 185 65 14 you have the same minus the champiro but Arizonian silvers and Pirelli p4 are available they all run a little bit more.
BDR1979

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trazano is a very nice tire. Too many people are worried about the tread rating. If you go with a mud and snow tire it will work the best. Mud and snow tires are rated for cold weather. When using them on the warm track they become sticky like a hoosier would once it warms up. I have turned faster lap times since switching over to a mud and snow tire.
Hartmanracing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As William said we have changed tires a few times and never had trouble finding good tires that meet the rules and are great tires for racing. If you start mandating a specific tire you could run some people away from the track because they can't afford to replace their tires all at the same time or they never buy new tires to race with due to cost. Opening up the size is no big deal but be careful with mandating a tire. Just my opinion.
Marq Eaton #12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anymore thoughts
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

195/70-14 and 185/70-14 tires are not obsolete. They are still readily available and will be so for a long time.

Things to think about...

Switching to a 65 series tire is going to cause RPM's to go up which will help those who need a higher RPM and will hurt those who are already on the RPM limit at the end of the straightaway. More than likely, the Neons that are cheating with the ECM will get faster at the end of the straightaway in addition to sticking better in the corners and faster off the corners.

How about this suggestion for a new rule: Neons must remain on 70 series tires while all other cars can run 65 series. It might make a few more cars competitive.

The idea is not to make the current fast cars faster, but to make the current mid to slow cars faster.

Whatever is done with a tire rule should be done very carefully. Keep the class affordable and fun, don't turn cars away, attract more cars.

-Maurice
Hartmanracing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone looking for more rpm's? I know most of the fast cars are already turning high rpm's and probably don't want anymore. What does everyone think, I know we cant turn anymore without motor trouble.

Honestly the tires aren't the problem in most cases, the setup is.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 65 series tire would require less camber in order to get maximum grip. So, that aspect would also help out the cars that can't get enough factory adjustment to set the camber on the RF tire how they need it to be.

Some types of cars just can't get the right gearing that they need and don't turn enough RPM's. Shorter tires will help those cars.

Anything that can help certain car models to get faster and to be more competitive with the Neons should help the class.

My vote, for what it may be worth, is to leave the rules for the Neons untouched for 2014. But for any other type of car, give them the option of using either the 70 series or the 65 series tire. But whatever series they chose, it must be used all the way around.

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to keep in mind as to availablity of different tire sizes. As of today, 10/4/2013, based on a search of tirerack.com, here are the number of different tire makes and models available for the following sizes:

185/65-14: 32
185/60-14: 16
185/70-14: 13
195/70-14: 12
196/60-14: 8
195/65-14: 2

Based on the above, the 195/65-14 is the hardest to find tire with only two models available. The 185/65-14 is the easiest to find tire. The currently popular sizes that are being used in the Pony Stock class now, 185/70-14 and 195/70-14, fall somewhere in the middle, but are still very popular and readily available.

-Maurice
Hartmanracing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the idea Maurice. Sounds ok but how many cars are on the track that are not Neon's? Very few so will this tire idea help? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I do find it interesting that we are trying to find a rule that will help even out the speeds in the class. My experience with racing has always been this......if someone is beating you work on your car setup to make it faster so they don't beat you any more. There will always be some who only want to race for fun and don't care if they aren't the fastest car on the track, is that all bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: