Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

cams....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: cams.... Reply with quote

We are having a little trouble with which cam to use, i know we have to pull 15 lbs of vacuum, any ideas? We're kinda lost at the moment, we want to be legal...but just barely! lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can this question be answered?

You're supposed to run a stock engine. That would mean you need a stock cam.

You can't even run a Stock Eliminator cam from an NHRA legal engine because NHRA allows extra duration with the stock lift. The cams end up being lumpy at an idle and don't pull enough vacuum. But NHRA only checks the lift.

We could pull your valve covers and check the lift also, but you will still have to pass the vacuum test.

The vacuum test will require that you don't have very much duration and overlap. I know you can get custom grinds that will still pull decent vacuum, but for racing, I doubt you'll gain anything with the money you'll spend.

You'll probably find that a stock cam will work just fine. The limiting factor will be the open differential and street radial tires, so a good motor won't be much of an advantage, if any at all. Once the left rear tire starts spinning, it doesn't help if it spins faster. The guy that drives off the corner the best will be the one to beat.

-Maurice
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Randal is correct that with the open differential final drives, street tires, and a VERY RESTRICTED exh. outlet , that a racing cam will not do much good,,, but there are some cams that fall into the
Stock specs type catagory that Might work a little better,,,,

Scroll down about half way,

http://www.iskycams.com/2005NewProdSupp.pdf

With the increased enforcement of vacuum rule, hydraulic camshafts at many oval tracks
across the country, Isky has introduced several new grinds to meet this Demand. The most
popular applications are listed below. More grinds will be added in the near future.
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for you low buck guys, pick a CHEAP cam from Competition products that is real close to a ISKY cam,,,

http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=286

complete cam kits are only about $ 130!

http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=293&pagenumber=2&sort_on=&sort_by=

http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=289
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build a OLD Impala SS or Cop car from the mid 1990's, it will have the LT-1 engine, with HiPO roller Hyd cam, 10 to 1 pistons,,,,

about .450 lift, about 205 duration,115 lobe center. roller lifters.

here are the specs,,,

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: thanks.... Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the input, i guess i'll just have to figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not runa cop car with the "stock" rear end. All cop cars come with posi units. The rules say no posi's
Champ2x36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you don't have to run a big cam to be competitive. In the middle '80's, Angola Speedway started the "factory stock" class. Angola is very similar to Springport Speedway. The "factory stock" rules were almost identical to the pure stock rules. Totally stock engines, automatic transmissions, and no locked diffs. The top 5 in the feature were checked every night, a wrecker would pick up the back of the car, and they would check to make sure the wheels could be turned without turning the other. Some nights you would have to idle the car with your foot on the brake, and put the car in gear.

I ran a '70 Chevelle with a 2 barrel 350, TH 350 tranny, and 2.56 rear gears. This car was TOTALLY stock. The Rochester 2 barrel didn't even have over-sized jets in it. The 350 had the small 1.72" intake valves, not even the 1.94's. This car won multiple features, fast heats, fast dashes, and was fast qualifier on occasion.

You don't have to have a built car for a stock class. If the rules are enforced as Maurice intends, a car with a motor in good shape, that has good compression, will run very competitively. This car took 4th in the points, after running in 2nd most of the year. My job caused me to miss a few nights, dropping me several spots in the points (it was a very competitive class), but I raced back to 4th in the last few weeks of the season.

Ed

Last edited by Champ2x36 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
tricknology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots Of Chevy LT-1 V8 info,,,,click on link below,,,,

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

( waht would happenif you put the 4.3 liter V8 heads on a 5.7 liter Lt-1?)

Compared to the 1991 Chevy 350 L98 with TPI, the LT1 made 20% more horsepower, got better fuel mileage, and had a much broader torque band with 90% of itís peak torque available from just over 1,000 rpm all the way up to nearly 6,000 rpm.

GM Powertrain accomplished all of this by reverse cooling the engine so they could bump the compression ratio up to 10.5 to 1, tweaking the airflow in and out of the engine, and using sophisticated electronic controls for both fuel and ignition. This combination gave the LT1 300 hp in 1992 and ultimately led to the 1996 LT4 that used better heads, more cam timing, roller rockers and sequential fuel injection to make 330 hp .

Although the LT1 was only around for five years, there were two-bolt and four-bolt blocks, aluminum and cast iron heads, regular and H.O. cams that came with long and short dowels, and three different front covers. There was also the "Baby LT1," the 265 cid version that was the standard engine in the Caprice from 1994-Ď96. With all that in mind, letís take a look at this family of engines and see what goes where.
tricknology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post dele3ted
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick..

Sounds like everything you have posted here would be great information for the Sportsmen class..

And is flat out cheating in the Pure Stock class.
tricknology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Rage,,,maybe not ,,,

IS Stock factory fuel injection is allowed?

Are 1992 to 1996 Impalas allowed?

Is the Stock 1992 to 1996 Impala 5.7 liter v8 allowed?
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its cheating. GM car. GM engine. GM heads. I know all the A and G bodies didnt come with 350's with 882 heads and 4bbls. Or TH350s. Or 12bolts. Am I wrong?
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RWD Pure Stocks are pretty much like the "Spartan Stocks" of the early 80's. You wil very likely see this class and the FWD Pure Stocks split into two separate classes fairly soon.

The RWD cars have a slightly more relaxed rules package than the FWD cars, mainly due to the inclusion of the downgraded Street Stocks being worked into the class. This is what will make the class highly popular this year.

The rules for the FWD cars are being much more tightly controlled like we are doing with the Pony Stocks this year.

Most likely, the RWD cars will become "Spartan Stocks" while the FWD cars will be the Pure Stock class. Maybe sooner than you think.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: