Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Dual exhaust vs Single exhaust
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck ewing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Dual exhaust vs Single exhaust Reply with quote

Trying to get a feel from any and all RWD Pure Stock drivers:
TOPIC: Dual exhaust vs Single exhaust ??
I have had a lot of interest from other tracks regarding Dual exhaust in our RWD Pure Stock.
THOUGHT: Allowing Dual exhaust, But with a weight penalty of ???, or going completely Dual exhaust the whole class.
I need input ASAP,a decision will be made by this weekend 04/01/07
Gusey Racing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is NO dual exhaust allowed.
But I'm only racing at Springport. But as everybody knows the rules are the same at both tracks.
Russ Potter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Adam, this is supposed to be a PURE STOCK class not a street stock class. Is this class going to be allowed to get way out of hand like ALL the other classes. If you allow dual exhaust, you need to change the name to STREET STOCK
Bardenracing42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been decided single exhaust for this year, and I'm guessing most people have already accomdated that. Let's leave it as it is, and possibly be discussing this right now for 2008.
Champ2x36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of keeping costs down, but still limiting the advantage of high horsepower engines I would suggest allowing dual exhaust, but limit the size of the exhaust pipes to 1 3/4" on each side. New crossover pipes are pretty expensive, but you can go to an exhaust shop and have a couple short exhaust pipes made pretty inexpensively. Two (2) exhaust pipes with 1 3/4" OD will have a slight bit less exhaust area as one (1) 2 1/2" exhaust pipe. The cars could be required to have their last foot or two of exhaust sized down to the 1 3/4" size. That wouldn't cost much to have a couple extensions made to size it down, basically the same thing as the Neons are required to do in the Pony Stock class.
wwdp75x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Potter this is supposed to be a PURE STOCK class not a street stock class
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: duals... Reply with quote

i would say yes to dual exhaust, but thats beekuzz i havent changed mine over yet. If you made a rule stick with it. So i vote yes but whatever the rule is ill abide bye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheater motorsports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: No to duals Reply with quote

No to duals i just build all cars with single. Are we going to want to put headers on them next? lets keep them pure stocks
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the idea of more cars...

So I'd say yes to dual exhaust, I'd limit the exhaust to 1 3/4" and if they qualify to fast.. say faster then .25 then the field, narrow it down some more.

Sounds to me like these are guys coming from other tracks.. so they are probably not going to be regulars..

If we find they are coming regular, and are winning/constantly faster, then the track tech guys will need to find a way to even out the field.. restrict exhaust more or add weight.

I suppose an added caveat could be, any race you run "in exception to the rules" is a zero point night for you.. so you can still take home a race check, but you don't earn any points.

I'd apply that to all classes.. anytime a guy shows up and his car is considered "illegal" that night.. but he/she is allowed to run.. that nights points should NOT count.
monzilla80

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a Y-pipe made for mine. I vote no because I really dont like waisting money.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monzilla80 wrote:
I just had a Y-pipe made for mine. I vote no because I really dont like waisting money.
Why do you think its wasting money ? For the guys that already have single exhausts.. they aren't wasting money and if you spent money to get legal, your all set. To the guys from other tracks, they don't have to waste money getting legal to our rules just to run a night or two, we get them to come to our track, they have to put the add-ons which slow them down, they can't collect championship points and we get an extra car or two plus whomever they bring into the stands and if they like it, they might decide to become a regular, at which point they would switch over to our rules. It seems like a win-win.
monzilla80

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime a rule change is made, money has to be spent to make the vehicle legal. Im not against rule changes. I just really dont like it 1 month before the season. If you guys want to add dual exhaust to the rules with extra weight or a size restriction, ok. Its not my track. It still costs money to change dual exhast pipe to 1.75" or add 50lbs of wieght.
Russ Potter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we really so hard up for cars that we need to change the rules less than one month before racing starts just to accomodate a few drivers from other tracks? If they want to come to our track they have to race under our rules. If they have to spend a little money to be legal so be it. We open up a very large can of worms when we start making rule changes at this late hour. If it appears, by the end of the season, that it will be to our advantage to change the rules for 2008, so be it. We should learn from our mistakes, changing rules for drivers from other tracks and only getting a handfull of cars while our own drivers feel the need to change to be competitive just does not work out. This seems to me a lose, lose situation. JMHO

Russ
Mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were racing a Pure Stock at a track that allowed dual exhaust and wanted to come to Spartan or Springport to race, I'd fabricate a simple Y-pipe that would connect up to my existing dual exhaust. It would be removable so that I could easily have single or dual exhaust. Simple, easy, and not too costly. No need to redo the entire system.

If the existing dual exit out both sides, then it could still be done. Go forward a little, cut the pipes and have them swedged out a little so they will slip back on to run as a dual system. Now, take them back off and build the new y-pipe assembly.

You know, if someone can build an entire car with roll cage, fuel cell, racing seat, and many other things, building a simple set of exhaust pipes is a piece of cake.

Chuck, I seriously think we shoud leave it as single exhaust. I think if these guys want to race at our tracks, they will conform to our rules. We are obviously attracting them in the first place. Let's keep our existing drivers happy. I think we already have a car count building that will develop into the need for consis. That fact tends to draw more cars for some reason.

-Maurice
tricknology

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r x r x 3.14 = area of a circle

2.5" OD = 4.95 square inches of out let area

2 " OD = 3.14 sq inches

1.5 od = 1.76 square inches

1.25 od = 1.23 sq inches

4.95 sq inches x 2 pipes = 9.9 sq inches

3.14 sq inches x 2 pipes = 6 .28 sq inches

1.76 square inches x 2 pipes = 3.53 sq inches

1.23 sq inches x 2 pipes = 2.46 sq inches
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: