Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

American Racer and Hoosier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: American Racer and Hoosier Reply with quote

The official tire for the Spartan Modifieds for the 2007 season will be the 265/60 non MMA tire. Also known as the Street Stock Tire. These tires will cost about 108.00 to 110.00 each. That includes mounting and taxes. We will also allow the Hoosier 970 to run as well. The logic behind this is that there are so many cars that will already have the 970's, along with the fact that there will NOT be an MMA fee this season we think there is a decent chance of picking up some more cars on Friday nights, at the same time easing the drain from some wallets. I have talked to Paul, our tecs and many drivers about allowing two tires and by far the majority was in favor of this. Most drivers felt the American Racer would have a slight edge if anything.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the MMA stamped tire.
schinde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim and Paul,

I would like to thank you for making this change in the tire rule.

It is obvious that you and Paul both took the opinions and concerns of this class seriously during the off season, and as a result, have taken those concerns and opinions to heart.

I do firmly believe that this decision will not only benefit the track itself, but will also be a great benefit to all of the drivers that wish to make Spartan their Friday night home, and chose to run the "Zoo, Owosso or another track on Saturday nights. This will be a cost savings for some racers, very clearly, and will not matter to others who will not be traveling to any great degree, but even those should applaud you and Paul both for being concerned about our wallets also.

One more time, thank you and Paul both, I for one appreciate your taking our concerns and turning them into a reality.

Let's go racin' everyone!

have a good day,

schinde
amgrunt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Hoosier Tires Reply with quote

Jim and Paul,

I would also like to commend you on allowing the 970 tire to be used. That way those of us that want to race elsewheres can. All the other tracks use the 970.

For those of you that think that you are going to save money by being allowed to run on the 970 and plan on racing at Kalamazoo where is your thinking on this. They are going to impound the tires at KZoo it will cost you more for tires and wheels. But this is what you want so this is what you have.

I am glad to see the tracks starting to move toward one set of rules at all tracks for the mods. It is about time.

Tom Williams

Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

The thought behind it is K-zoo starts 2 weeks before Spartan. If you run there you will start to cycle tires in and out, therefore you could bring Hoosiers up. It will depend on how many run the Hoosier to see which tire can be crowned king. Ooh this is shaping up to be like a movie trailer.

"At a racetrack in Mason Michigan two tires begin to do battle for ULTIMATE GRIP SUPREMACY!"

Okay sorry I got a little into that.

No really it's to allow guys that only have Hoosiers to run with us. The AM racer is actually a little faster if you take care of it. The Hoosier seems to take to the abuse a little better. Tire management will be the key to the AM racer.
sweeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PFD hows the car coming along? Will you be ready? Very Happy
amgrunt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Hoosiers Reply with quote

Perry,
I understand the reasoning for all the mods to be on the same tire in the state and it is a good reason. But when you start impounding the tires it makes no difference what tire you are on. If you run more than one track the price goes up.
I have never run on the 970 so I don't know the difference between them but I am sure I will find out. I already had a set of 970's on my car. I will have to learn what they need compared to the MMA tire on my car. I know all you hot dogs have it figured out already. But you know I have followed you guys for a couple of years now and maybe I will learn some new things this year.
I hope all the Spartan cars run well wherever they choose to race at on Saturday nights. I know I going to the south to race on Saturdays.

Tom Williams

amgrunt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Hoosiers Reply with quote

Are we going to have anyone selling Hoosiers at the race track?
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

My experience with the Hoosier tells me they like heat. It's a tire you have to trust, and once you do it takes off. Aaron Katz put Hoosiers on for Qualifying at the racers rumble at Sprinport a couple of years ago and he said it was like night and day compared to the MMAtire. I had also told get'em hot on the warm up lap. It's a good tire, I actually prefer it. The AM racer (ie street stock, A-B) tire is fast. It's what Sherman was on about 4 yrs ago or so. It's like easily 2 tenths faster than the MMA tire. Just a little hint. It'll be fun. Dowkers may be able to get you the tires. I'll check on that.

Sweeper,

What's up? Yeah I think so. Just working on making personal touches to the car. Make it comfortable. Ended up reskinning it, interior and all. Wild hairs make us crazy things. It'll feel like home when I'm done. If not opening week, 2nd night would almost have to be a for sure. I've made the car my #2 priority, while dealing with Insurance companies, and getting the garage back up. It's quite the process, wouldn't wish it on anyone. My advice to everyone is double check your coverage, and see what it would cost to get the right coverage. 11yrs of work, and memories were lost in that garage. In fact the only trophies I have left are from 2006.
amgrunt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Hoosiers Reply with quote

Perry,
Thanks for the hint on the 970's. I am sure they are going to be different for us. We have made some major changes to the car over the winter. So it should be interesting the first couple of weeks.
Never thought of Dowkers being able to get us tires. Guess I will call Terry and find out. I went to Angola and got a set a couple of weeks ago but I would like to get 4 more.
Sorry about the garage glad it's not going to set you back in racing to much.
The bad thing about KZoo besides the impound is they want everyone that comes through the gate to have a Nascar license.

Tom
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom

I'm no expert on the 970 it's just a good tire to race on. Very stable. If ya get the chance run'em both and see which one you like better.

As far as Dowkers go, I'm pretty sure they can get tires because of the AVSS, but don't quote me on that.
amgrunt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Hoosier Tires Reply with quote

Thanks Perry,
Think I will stick to the 970 as that is what I will be running on Saturdays. Going out of town for a couple of days. See you at the track.

Tom
fast16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

This year your allowing the Mods to run Hoosier Tires, Are you Also going to Allow the Sportsman Class to run Hoosiers ?

NOT just on the Sunday Shows, but on All the regular Friday nights as well ?

Thanks,

Mike
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Not this year. The Sportsman will be on the American Racer only. Except for Open Invites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: