Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Front Wheel Drive Pure Stocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Front Wheel Drive Pure Stocks Reply with quote

Russ Potter III and Russ Potter IV proved Saturday night that you can build a cheap FWD Pure Stock and win races.

If you are considering building a Pure Stock, seriously think about going front wheel drive. You can build a FWD car for much less than the RWD car. You don't have to rebuild the engine if you start with a car that runs OK. This is what the Potters did.

The car that won the feature was driven by Russ IV and is a bulgy-bodied Chrysler LHS sedan with the 3.5 24 valve engine. It was able to outcorner the RWD cars and had no problem on the straights.

The car that set fast time was driven by Russ III and is a Chrysler Concorde sedan with the smaller 3.3 12 valve pushrod engine. That car was surprisingly faster than the higher powered LHS. It won the heat race but was unable to compete in the feature due to being wrecked during the Celebrity race. It will be back out after being repaired.

Come to Springport and talk to the Potters about how you can go racing and win on a very low budget. Also be sure to check out this article on the Potters.

-Maurice
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Potters. I look forward to racing with you guys. I know the Ranger is no competition, but its all for fun, right?
Russ Potter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla,

Are you only running Spartan. Thought I saw you there Sunday but was not sure. I am also looking forward to racing at Spartan if the x10 car is done by then. See ya Friday I hope.

Russ "Harry" Potter
superfast14

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a chance to drive both of the Potter cars, I must say if these things are as cheap as they say they were...you got a FUN ride for a LOW cost... I had fun, too bad the one I was going to drive broke early in the day on Saturday.

Thanks again for the fun Russ.
-Kyle
#87 ShortTrackTrucks.com Challenge Series
www.kylecallahanracing.com
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan was for me to drive at Spartan and my dad drive at Springport. He now has to work saturdays and I am neck deep in my work so I cant even drive a full schedule on fridays.

I was at Spartan on sat and sun testing it. It drives like a bus and turns like a dump truck. But its built like a tank.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The plan was for me to drive at Spartan and my dad drive at Springport. He now has to work saturdays and I am neck deep in my work so I cant even drive a full schedule on fridays.

So, what's preventing you from racing on Saturdays? Or if your Dad gets out of work by 5PM, he can still make it to the track. Qualifying starts at about 5:30 and there is a late qualifying session as well. Even if he misses qualifying, there is the option of starting on the tail of the field.

Quote:

I was at Spartan on sat and sun testing it. It drives like a bus and turns like a dump truck. But its built like a tank.

Yet, it looked like you were getting around the track quite well. I was impressed. It was a big improvement over how that particular truck ran last year.

-Maurice
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks on the driving! I was trying my hardest. Its s whole new ball game than Im used too.

My dads pretty tired. I feel bad. I would drive saturdays, but its what he wanted and I dont wanna impose on his dream. Or worse show him up. Next year I will hopefully have an S10 so we can be a team and not worry about who is where and when. So in the meantime I will try to dominate Spartan with the "Green Truck", and not damage it too much. No green stripes on the wall!
ITSA351

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: MONZILLA80 Reply with quote

I am Monzilla80's dad. For those who do not know Mike, he has drag raced since he went to the high school drags at Milan and Stanton. He also ran demolition derby cars for several years. He owns a Monza tube chassis car and a beautiful 1970 Chevelle. I am very proud of this young man and I hope that he is welcomed into the circle track family.

Thanks, ITSA351
monzilla80

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dad!
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have my fleet of pure FWD cars on the track by 7-14-07, and my flagship the # 6 wallbanger SHO Taurus will probably win every race.
Dennis ONeil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S Y H !!!!!!!!

"A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.............WORKS BETTER WHEN OPEN"
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansingsportsrage.com wrote:
I should have my fleet of pure FWD cars on the track by 7-14-07, and my flagship the # 6 wallbanger SHO Taurus will probably win every race.
Since I was buried inside a race car on Sat at 3:47pm.. I take it must have been still logged onto a computer somewhere (I wonder where !) and someone is impersonating me... doing a good job of it too !
tricknology

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your opinion,

What car would be the HOT car to build???

The new Cyber Stock class for 2008 is all about having fun, while racing in a weekly, competitive class. This class is intended to introduce the sport of short track racing to new drivers and teams. This is also intended to finally have an entry level, beginner’s class at Kalamazoo Speedway. This will be a class where a team can have a competitive car, for less money than the cost of race tires for a year on a mid level class of racecar. We would like to see these cars neatly painted and lettered up, while being creative with you paint schemes and designs. Nascar has their own hero’s whose cars are highly recognizable; we are looking to make you Cyber Stock drivers our next group of hometown hero’s! If you have a school, radio station or civic group that is looking to put a “group car” together, call Gary at the Speedway office, let us know your plans.

Safety Rules will be strongly enforced in this class. You will be required to have a full Fire Suit, a Snell approved Helmet, along with Racing Gloves. A 4 or 5 point Racing Harness, a good quality Window Net with a quick release latch, and adequate roll bar padding will be required. Racing Boots, a Neck Collar or Head & Neck Restraint, and an Aluminum Racing Seat will be highly recommended. We will cover the complete safety requirements, farther down in the rules section.

All Cyber Stocks will be a 6 cylinder, front wheel drive car, with an automatic transmission. No convertibles, 2 seat coupes, standard transmissions, super or turbo charged cars will be allowed. These vehicles will remain stock, in their original form and shape. No alterations will be made to your cars, unless it is stated that you may do so.

Complete Stock Bodies – All body panels will remain stock front to rear. The original windshield may remain as is (full lexon windshield optional), all other glass must be removed 100%. All mirrors, upholstery, insulation inside & under the hood, carpet, tail lights & headlights, all loose trim on the exterior of the body, trailer hitches, and aftermarket add-ons must be removed from the car. Any material burnable in the driver’s cockpit area must be removed. The original hood & trunk latches must be removed and replaced with a quick release hood pin system. Any car with a hatchback can weld or bolt your hatchback solid. All holes in the floorboard and front firewall must be covered securely with sheet metal. Both front & rear bumpers must be strapped or chained to the frame, to prevent dragging. When you remove the vinyl covering on your dashboard, you may cover up the “ugly stuff” with a piece of aluminum or sheet metal. There will be no gutting of any interior or exterior panels, except for making room for the door bars. Make sure all loose glass or material inside of the body panels are vacuumed out good. All loose rust flakes or trim must be removed from your cars. Use a sledgehammer on your bumpers to knock off all of the loose material on the bottom side of your car.

Steering & Suspension – All steering and suspension will remain stock with no modifications – front to rear & side-to-side. You will be allowed to have ¾” of camber on your tires, which will be measured with a 24” carpenters square. You may have a quick release steering wheel for safety, but will have the complete stock steering assembly. Your brake and gas pedal will remain stock, but you can have a toe clip for a throttle return strap.

Engines & Exhaust – All cars may start with the stock key or with a push button & toggle switch, hooked directly to your steering column wiring harness. All of the stock wiring to your car will remain intact. There will be an occasional Stereo Contest throughout the season, so we would suggest keeping your sound system in top-notch shape. Your engines and transmissions are to remain stock - we will implement a claimer rule on these cars if needed, so don’t throw a bunch of money into your engine set-up. A stock style exhaust system complete with a muffler that exits behind the drivers seat will be mandatory – 2” maximum OD size – catalytic converter not needed. No exhaust leaks or opening up of the mufflers allowed. Absolutely no Antifreeze is allowed!

Gas Tanks & Batteries – If the stock gas is located ahead of the rear axle, it may remain in place as is. Double check the gas lines and the tank straps, replace them if they are worn. All stock tanks located behind the rear end must be replaced and relocated in the trunk area. You may use a stock tank that is in good condition, an 8-gallon or smaller fuel cell, or a boat tank, and place one of these in the forward area of your trunk. These tanks must have a metal frame to hold the tanks in place, and must be strapped in place securely. A couple loops of plumbers strap will not suffice for this, these tanks must be secured solid. If you have a tank in the trunk area, you must patch your entire rear firewall with sheet metal, so you can’t see any of the trunk area from inside of the driver’s cockpit area. All aftermarket fuel pumps are required to have a Kill Switch for the fuel pump shut off, located in plain site, in the window opening behind the driver. Your battery may remain in the stock location or be moved in the cockpit area, behind the drivers seat. If moved into the cockpit area, your battery must be secured and covered completely.

Tires & wheels – Stock wheels for that make & model of car are fine. Safety Wheels can be used, but you are not allowed to increase your tread width, by using some big offset wheels. Maximum size of any wheel will be 6” wide. Oversized 1” lug nuts are highly recommended. All wheel weights must be removed from both the inside & outside of all wheels. No low profile, trick, or exotic tires allowed. Radial tires only, No bias ply, racing, or re-cap tires allowed. Maximum tire size is 215 x 15”x 65 series. No 60 or wider tires allowed, only 65, 70, 75, or 80 series tires allowed. The track has the final call on any and all tires, if you think you are going to read around the tire rule, I would suggest that you bring a tire to us first, before showing up with them on your car.

Safety Requirements – Although we are strongly encouraging people to build and work on their own cars, if you have little or no experience putting in a safe roll cage, contact a professional to help you install a good quality roll cage, your racing seat, and your safety belt and window net mounts. All Cyber Stocks will have a minimum of a 4 post roll cage. The minimum round or square tubing size is 1 1/2” x .095 thickness, no exhaust tubing or old rusty well pipe allowed. The rollover bar will be behind the driver’s head, with the upper halo section constructed to give the driver plenty of head clearance & protection to provide safety in the event of a rollover. All cars will have a minimum of 3 drivers side door bars, as well as a single or an X door bar on the passenger side. A 30” wide by 12” tall by 1/8” thick drivers side doorplate is required on all cars (minimum size). No removing of any steel interior door panels except for door bar clearance. All doors must be bolted, welded or chained shut. If you are using a stock seat, make sure you have your seat tracks bolted or welded solid. The back of the seat must be secured to the horizontal back bar of your roll cage. An aluminum racing seat is highly recommended. No lead or any ballast may be added to your cars. Rear bars will be a maximum of 1 ¾” round or square tubing. The rear bars may extend rearward from the top of the cage behind the driver, angling down to the rear of the trunk area. You may also have 2 bars extending back from the middle section of the back hoop, rearward. No bars may extend through the rear of your trunk area. Your may have an X in between your two rear diagonal bars. The rear strut towers may be supported with your back bars, to help keep your strut towers in place. We will be allowing bars to extend through the front firewall, for added leg protection for the driver. These bars may attach to the strut towers, but may not go any farther forward.

Bumpers – We will allow you to beef up & secure your bumpers to your frame mounts, with a maximum of 1/8” thick angle iron or flat stock. There will be no extra steel added of any kind, extending from one side to the other side of the bumper. You may attach standard hardware cloth in front of your radiator, but no expanded steel or equivalent will be allowed.

Contact Scott or Gary at the Speedway Office at 269-692-2423 with any questions you have on the eligibility of the car or any questions you have on the rules. This phone call may save us both a lot of grief. So get going on your new Cyber Stock and start having some fun while learning about the basics of circle track racing!
tricknology

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a Ford Contour? some come with a 5 speed stick

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-2000-ford-contour-4.htm
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Prelude would be untouchable..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: